turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Chair blind.

Started by chrmayo, April 10, 2013, 09:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrmayo

Any of you use a chair blind when turkey hunting? My dad swears by one but I have never been much on blinds. Thinking about picking one up to give it a shot
-MAYO-

redarrow

I"ve seen them but they don't seem to have a lot of room in them.

Old Gobbler

Ive seen pictures of them , but they look cramped - looks like you have to be pointing in the right direction

I have been wanting to buy one for waterfowl hunting , sit it out in thigh high open water grass it up and sit in it with my waders on, it will probably be only 2 feet above water  - I think it will work quite well 
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

chatterbox

I had one, and hated it. They are very heavy, not waterproof, and just like Shaon said, very cramped. If you are gonna use a blind, I would not recommend that one.

Garrett Trentham

They were not very well thought out. Small, cramped, and any move you make while sitting in the chair shakes the entire blind.
"Conservation needs more than lip service... more than professionals. It needs ordinary people with extraordinary desire. "
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

lightsoutcalls

You might take a look at some of the Ameristep spring steel blinds.  I had one of the Doghouse blinds that was fairly lightweight and came with a bag with backpack straps.  There was ample room for one, got crowded with 2 inside.  Add one of the double bull 3 legged magnum stools and you are in business.  I saw Wing Supply running the Doghouse blinds for around $59.  I'd like to have another one for quick hog/deer hunts.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Gamblinman

I have hunted out of the one man and two man chair blinds..If a bird comes in from behind and hangs up in range, you can forget it 'cause there no way to turn around.

I have a doghouse blind for cold, rainy days. I've even been known to stick a catalytic heater in one. Sure makes for a comfortable hunt on a nasty day.

Gman

"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Hevi-5

The guys I hunt with in TX swear by these things.  I don't like to stay in one spot and carry my buckwing stool and no blind in the mornings, but for an afternoon hunt where I just set up and Blind call, it works pretty good.  I got my first taste of hunting out of one last week.  I don't think it weighs 10 pounds and folds pretty flat and has a strap/buckle to hold it closed up.  The problem I had with a pop-up dog house blind is having to also tote a chair to sit in.  This one is all together.  Like everyone says, it is a little cramped, if you have a vest full of calls and your gun with you.  But mine has 2 pockets that hang down on each side to keep calls handy in and a cup holder.  It took a while to figure out the best way to keep my gun pointed.  My buddies told me they lay their gun across the chair arm and run the gun forearm down between their leg and the chair arm.  When you get ready to shoot, just raise it up and slide it out the front.  You can hold/work your calls below the window out of sight pretty easy.  I took my phone out and took several pictures of a couple of jake last week and they were within 15-20 yards of the blind and didn't pay it any attention.  Natchez shooters supply had them on sale a few weeks ago. 

Billy

firstflight111

i will stick to my double bull . its almost like home  :z-flirtysmile3: .
CUPPED AND COMMITTED

Matt Meyer

I've used the 1 person chair blind. It is small and cramped but, it did ok. Like others have said, it is difficult to see behind you

surehuntsalot

my wife got me one of the one man chair blinds a couple of years ago,I use it a good bit,not all of the time,but I like it
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

DirtNap647

Basser69

I have one of the double chair blinds and I like it. With one of the kids in there with me it can get a little tight but with one person, it is not too bad.

Tail Feathers

Shannon, check around.  I've seen one that has a very cool flip up lid for turkey hunting.
Had a somewhat low slung chair and the whole thing was only about belly button high.
This one was designed for waterfowling.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Old Gobbler

Quote from: Tail Feathers on April 12, 2013, 09:38:26 PM
Shannon, check around.  I've seen one that has a very cool flip up lid for turkey hunting.
Had a somewhat low slung chair and the whole thing was only about belly button high.
This one was designed for waterfowling.
where did you see this blind , who makes it ?

I am looking to try one to see how it works on open water hunting , I hunt with 120-200 decoy spreads with the layout boats , I have friends and family that want to come along , thinking these chairs could be the ticket

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon