OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Gun Adivce

Started by gatrapper, April 10, 2013, 05:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatrapper

Going to buy a new shotgun within a week.  Want to keep it under $1000.

Give me the shotgun name, choke, and ammo combo of what I should go with.

Thanks!
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

FL-Boss

Plenty of options.. you will hear them all..
with a 1K budget.... Remington 11-87 turkey - http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-11-87/model-11-87-sportsman-super-mag-shurshot-turkey.aspx

any jelly head choke...even the stock choke it comes with is actually good. Any size HEVI 13, #7 or mag blends.

Gooserbat

BPS Stalker, Ballistic Specialties, Sumtoy, or Pure Gold Choke, Get as many shells as you can and pattern to find what shoots best.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

mikejd

Plenty of great guns in that budget. More important to go shoulder them and see what feels the best.

captin_hook

Quote from: mikejd on April 10, 2013, 06:34:30 PM
Plenty of great guns in that budget. More important to go shoulder them and see what feels the best.

This^^. Check the 11-87 supermag. I'd personally go with a 870 supermag, surshot stock, Burris ffIII sight. for chokes id pattern rhino, sum toy, Indian creek , or just the stock HD choke. And a nice supply of H-13 7s. That should work great and be well 1000$. Let us know what u choose.

FL-Boss

that sureshot stock is the ticket!

allaboutshooting

Quote from: gatrapper on April 10, 2013, 05:51:28 PM
Going to buy a new shotgun within a week.  Want to keep it under $1000.

Give me the shotgun name, choke, and ammo combo of what I should go with.

Thanks!

Your budget allows you a very wide selection but I would recommend what has already been said, I'd look at as many guns in that price range as possible, hold them, shoulder them, see how they balance in your hand and pick the one that feels best to you.

I have been very pleased with the Mossberg 930. It's a lot of gun for the money. Jerry Miculek puts his through more stress than anyone I know. I spoke with him about his 930 that he uses in 3-Gun competition (and wins) and he has nothing but good things to say about it. I interviewed him and published that interview on my site. He now has many more months and thousands of shells through his and he's happier than ever.

Patrick Flanigan also uses that gun in his exhibition shooting and has nothing but good to say about it as well.

Those 2 men put more rounds through a gun in a month or two than most peopled o in a lifetime. I ran mine all last year in competition, clays and hunting without cleaning the gas system or the trigger group and it just kept going.

It's one I'd definitely recommend.

As far as turkey shells, I'd go with 3" Hevi-13 with 2 oz. of either #6 or #7 shot. They work exceptionally well and are very consistent performers.

You also have a wide variety of turkey chokes that fit that gun. It uses the Win-Choke-Invector-Accu-Choke thread system and everyone makes a choke for that system. It's a forgiving gun and I've found that the Hevi-13 choke, Pure Gold, Wright's, and the SSX all work well.

Whatever you choose, good luck to you in the turkey woods this spring and please let us know what you choose and how it works for you.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

SCDieselDawg

Remington 870sm, .660 Jellyhead, Hevi#6s or mag blends.

Those Mossbergs are hard to beat also. Id go with a 935 if I picked Mossberg.

tomstopper

Stoeger 3500 with Sumtoy .665 & 3.5in turkey thugs size 6 shot

30_06

Ithaca Turkeyslayer with their recoil reducing stock, Pure Gold choke, Hevi #7's.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

If I was limited to 1k for the total package I'd do this:

Stoeger 3500
Williams firesights
Rhino .660
Nitro 6x7 2.25 ounce h13

mudhen

BPS Multi-purpose, Indian Creek choke, H-13 6's, 3.5", 2.25 oz.

mudhen

"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

the Ward

If it is strictly going to be a turkey gun,i would look into the models with backbored barrels.They generallly produce the best patterns with either hevi or lead.I would go with either a browning bps 3.5 or a mossy 835/935,and go with a choke company that will work with you.Pure gold,indian creek,sumtoy all have great customer service to get you what you need.Guns are a personal purchase ,what one person really likes,another may not.Get the one you really like,it will make your hunting/shooting experiences that much more enjoyable.Make sure you allow for some sort of sight/optic in your  budget,often a gun will not shoot poi/poa with different chokes/loads.Alot of good suggestions from everyone here,now go shopping lol!