turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Upstate SC

Started by SCGobbler, April 08, 2013, 01:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishbamboo

Not very much noise in the woods yesterday morning, sat for five hours in one spot. Moved to another a couple miles away, seen one deer and 5 turkey. They would not respond. Moved to a third spot, sat down on top of a grassy hill top. Made several calls on the box, and I could hear them running in the woods. Two big Tom's got within 25-30 yards and I dropped the first one. Huge bird, very heavy, but only a 10 beard and spurs that looked like they were wore down, very rounded on the point. Anyway first day, first bird this year.

lung

Quote from: Fishbamboo on April 02, 2014, 11:30:55 AM
Not very much noise in the woods yesterday morning, sat for five hours in one spot. Moved to another a couple miles away, seen one deer and 5 turkey. They would not respond. Moved to a third spot, sat down on top of a grassy hill top. Made several calls on the box, and I could hear them running in the woods. Two big Tom's got within 25-30 yards and I dropped the first one. Huge bird, very heavy, but only a 10 beard and spurs that looked like they were wore down, very rounded on the point. Anyway first day, first bird this year.

Your day sounded like mine, without a bird at the end though. I saw 15 birds along the power line cut at different times. Some toms were alone, and 8 were flocked up. Saw 3 deer that came out the woods near me. Im only hearing them at daylight, after that not another peep. Today, I only saw one group of 4 in the distance. Zero birds so far, same as yesterday not a sound from them.

Fishbamboo

7 hours in the woods today, no gobble at all. Around 2:30P did see a tom with several hens. No shot.

lung

sun up to sun down today. 1 gobble around 730am. 1 hen cut with me around 4pm in some thick pines. Watched a tom for about an hour around 6pm on the gas lines from about 150 yards out. I clucked to him twice and yelped a couple times. He turned all red, strutted 3 times and raised his neck up looking my way several times. Never a sound from him, he eased off into the woods. Thought he was going to circle around through the woods and pop out. He never showed. Not one gobble on the roost, but it did get windy and was hard to hear this evening. Spoke to a couple other hunters today, reported not hearing anything as well.

Fishbamboo

Only spent 4 hours out today, windy and looked like rain any minute. Did hear one gobble at 7:10, then nothing. Hit it again in the morning.

Fishbamboo

9 hours today, still no gobble. Did see one in strut, called he went the other way.  No feathers today.

lung

Quote from: Fishbamboo on April 05, 2014, 06:11:53 PM
9 hours today, still no gobble. Did see one in strut, called he went the other way.  No feathers today.

6am till noon, did not see or hear anything today. Going to try a new area tomorrow.

NappinUnderTrees

Spent 8 hours out yesterday as well on WMA, we had a tom gobbling his boots off for an hour and a half but he would cross the engorged creek. Lucky guy was too far away to shoot over the creek also. I believe I would have spent the two hours walking to get him if he was close enough to drop in his tracks.

Busted a Jake walking to a new spot on Saturday. I believe he jumped out of a Hidey Hole, didn't see him till he scared me out of my boots and onto my . Couldn't get a shot off I was laughing so hard.

So far some comical times! We will see how it goes this weekend.

Fishbamboo

5 hours yesterday, seen one fly off. 5 hours today, seen three hens. No gobbling at all. Try again in the morning.

westgin

:'(  Sounds like my season so far
4-1 had 3 gobble on adjacent land
4-2 had 2 gobble on adjacent land
4-7 had 2 gobble no luck
4-8 only 1 hen within 20' she clucked and purred for 10 minutes with no answer
4-10 nothing
4-11 nothing

Fishbamboo

5 hours today, had a few gobble in the morning. Did not see them, then seen one right at the car when I was leaving. No shot.

Fishbamboo

4 hours yesterday, 5 hours today. Still seeing hens, no gobblers. Cold weather is killing the season.

Fishbamboo

8 more days, gota hit them hard.......

westgin

Hunted from daylight until 2:00PM.  Heard 4 gobble, had one come in to about 75 yards in tight brush.  I worked that bird for 90 minuted and then he just shut up.  Waited there for a hour after and no sign of him!  Strange weather this spring and it sure has affected the turkeys.....

Cut N Run

I'm hunting the NC piedmont and had similar experiences.  Hens had been flocked up until the past few days and the gobblers have been pretty quiet most mornings. They seem to shut up after they hit the ground.  I passed on two jakes @ ~35 yards around 8AM and had a mature gobbler pass by on the ridge above me following a hen.  He gave courtesy gobbles and kept on after the hen. Work today, then hunting again in the morning.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.