OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Upstate SC

Started by SCGobbler, April 08, 2013, 01:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCGobbler

I personally think that SC is behind several weeks.

This is the first time that I can remember that the birds are henned up this bad this early in the season.

The gobbling also appears to be hit and miss.  They are either hammering their heads off or dead silent.  Nothing consistent.

Any other SC boys hearing anything out there?
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

anbrown

I'm not in Upstate SC, I down in the Lowcountry area. However much like you said, the gobbling seems to be very inconsistent.

I've roosted birds this year and gone back to the next morning and had them gobbling like crazy, then pitch down and go dead silent. And two days later the same birds will gobble like crazy from the roost, pitch down and gobble at any and everything.

I know Eastern's are tough birds, and I've accepted that the land I hunt makes for difficult hunts due to the way the land is set up...but the inconsistency in the birds patterns is driving me crazy

patrick4

I am hunting in upstate also and the same thing, a couple of gobbles on the roost and then fly down and shut up... very tough to hunt them like this......

blueridgegobbler

NC Foothills the same way

Fishbamboo

I hunted WMA's in Oconee county, this is my first year turkey hunting. So I didn't know what to expect. I got my first bird, 10.5" beard and 1" spurs. I am hooked!!!

Fishbamboo

So I have seen a lot of birds this year, heard some talking back and forth. Bought a Mossberg 535TK and put a tactical red dot on her. I am not happy with the pattern at 35 yards, wide open.

davisd9

On the farm in Clarendon they have been all over.  The weather this weekend kept them in the pines instead of the fields but they are hammering.  Buddy went to an Upstate WMA on Thursday or Friday and they were hammering there as well.  Have not been to my properties in Chester or Fairfield yet.  I had a lot of trouble with hens last year.  Do not have much to go one yet as I have not been out this year to look or listen.

Got Alabama on my mind for now but when I get back it will be a long wait for April 1.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

NappinUnderTrees

We were out this week checking trail cams and looking for sign south of Greenville. Rainy weather shut em up for the day I was out scouting. Came across some good sign and have heard them in the woods around the house. Looks like it will be a descent year.

Fishbamboo - I have a mossberg 535 that I hunt with, I got the turkey/deer combo and the best pattern I can get with it is from the factory choke. I have tried IC and Jellyhead chokes on it to no avail. The patterns were wide open using mag blend hevi-6 and hevi-5,  but at 35yds with the factory your looking pretty good no matter what I used. 

Fishbamboo

So, from what I am reading and what I have heard, I have a 35 yard gun. Probably my 870 mod. choke with do well at that range.

patrick4

Haven't heard any birds yet but I have seen flocks together with gobblers strutting...

Fishbamboo

Spent 5 hours in the WMA today, lots of sign, no birds. Seen two deer real close.

THattaway

Late green up this year, well more like the old "normal" of 80s through early 90s really. Third week in April the upstate will have them going wide open and without hens. Lowstate probably more like by the second week. Watch and see.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Fishbamboo

6 hours today, heard one bird around 4P. Never seen it.

NappinUnderTrees

We got a single Gobbler on Camera last week. Cams out in differeent places this week so hope we see some action. Lots of sign not hearing anything though.

Fishbamboo

Turkey Time is here, see ya in the woods.......good luck everyone.