Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Mossberg 835, 20" barrel, PG .670, Hevi 3.5" 2 1/4 oz #7

Started by sugarray, April 07, 2013, 07:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UtahGobbler

I just went and shot some 2.75 inch 6 shot at 20 yards. The center of the shot is about a foot high. The stock sight doesn't adjust low enough to bring it down. I thought about pulling it off and getting something else but not sure if that will solve my problems. I'm kinda frustrated as our season opens in two days. My target was a paper plate since I used up all my turkey geads

SCDieselDawg

Quote from: UtahGobbler on April 10, 2013, 09:44:40 PM
I just went and shot some 2.75 inch 6 shot at 20 yards. The center of the shot is about a foot high. The stock sight doesn't adjust low enough to bring it down. I thought about pulling it off and getting something else but not sure if that will solve my problems. I'm kinda frustrated as our season opens in two days. My target was a paper plate since I used up all my turkey geads

Aftermarket fiber optics that are fully adjustable will help. I went with a red dot on mine just to have something different

UtahGobbler

I'll try some different sights and see if that helps. I just get a bit frustrated at times. Thanks for everyone's help.

Bob

Newram05

Where you get the 20" barrel? Mine came with 24" and can't find 20 anywhere!

sugarray

Mine came with the 20" and I bought it 4 yrs ago.  It is a shooter, easy to maneuver in the woods.  I have the thumbhole stock.  Mine was never close and I use a Mueller Quick Shot.  Going to switch to the Burris FF III before next year, just had a lot of trouble getting mine sighted in this year.

chatterbox

Quote from: sugarray on April 11, 2013, 05:17:50 AM
Mine came with the 20" and I bought it 4 yrs ago.  It is a shooter, easy to maneuver in the woods.  I have the thumbhole stock.  Mine was never close and I use a Mueller Quick Shot.  Going to switch to the Burris FF III before next year, just had a lot of trouble getting mine sighted in this year.
You will love the FF III, Ray! It is a true dream to sight in. I had mine sighted in with dove loads at 10, and was dead on at 40 with my first shot. Shot one more to confirm, and it hit where the first one did.
Love your patterns by the way. Good job! :icon_thumright:

nogoodreezen

Quote from: UtahGobbler on April 10, 2013, 07:57:22 PM
I took the mossberg 835 out today and shot some hevi mag blend 3.5 inch. Nothing but dissappointment. At 40 yards I only had 9 in a ten inch circle. Any suggestions? Our local store doesn't have any hevi 13 only mag blends. I shot nitros too and they surprisingly were not much worse and a quarter of the cost. I'm at a lose. Any suggestions.

That is definitely a point of aim and point of impact problem. Shoot at some big paper and you will find your pattern. I love my 835 but the factory sights suck. Red dot or aftermarket fibers are the only way to go on them. Good luck.
Bob

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

UtahGobbler

I've come to that conclusion on the sights. Going to see what I can find tomorrow and go from there. I did find some hevi 13 3.5inch 1.75 oz 6 shot here locally that I'm going to give a whirl. After I get the sight all figured out

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: sugarray on April 11, 2013, 05:17:50 AM

The Muler is a great site. I just don't think they can hold up too the power of an 835 with the 3-½" mags. I had a rectical blow on one. They sent me another and wouldn't hold zero. They do have great costomer service. 

Quote from: UtahGobbler on April 10, 2013, 09:44:40 PM
Do what ya did... 2-¾" light load at 15/20 at big paper. Contractor paper is nice 3x3 at least. Them short barrell 835's I really don't know about. However, I'm not a fan of the red dot's anymore. That's JMO. Last season I raised my comb a little and put on a nice set of Hi Viz sights. You can see them real well and don't have to worry about batteries.  Also turning it on and off when the birds are comming in.
:anim_25:

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."