turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Is Copper-Plated Lead Not Necessary?

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, April 07, 2013, 07:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Considering all of the great results that people have gotten this year with the unplated Thugs, I patterned an out of production 3" PMC 2 Ounce #6 Lead shell with Unplated shot (Also the same load in #4 Lead) today at 71 degrees.  (They were available both with and without plated shot, and I have some of each).

#6 = 243 in 20" at 40 Yards.  #4 = 131 in 20" at 40 Yards.  The 10" numbers aren't very high, but the overall 20" pattern is very even and huntable.  870 and Indian Creek .665

Perhaps Copper-plating helps the 10" numbers a bit more than the overall 20" numbers?

Punisher

"Plated" shot is only as good as the shot underneath the plating.

Philippe

I believe the reason why the thugs are doing so well is because they seem to have extremly hard lead pellets compaired to others i have opened up.

the Ward

That harder lead and maybe the newer choke designs are possibly more gentle on the shot charges,partly negating the need for plating?

ILIKEHEVI-13

I don't think copper plated shot makes shot patterns any better than magnum hard chilled shot.  The buffer used, wad, and powder will be more of a factor in detrmining pattern results as well as the choke used.

Philippe

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on April 07, 2013, 09:33:54 PM
I don't think copper plated shot makes shot patterns any better than magnum hard chilled shot.  The buffer used, wad, and powder will be more of a factor in detrmining pattern results as well as the choke used.

I totally agree, you change one of those factors and it could give you an amazing shell or a terd. Federal must be using some really slow powder for those shells to thump like they do!

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Today I shot 135 in 10" at 40 Yards at 71 Degrees with Gray Box 3" Win Super X 1 7/8 Ounce #5 Lead through my 870 and Indian Creek .665 choke.

Now, the 20" pattern had some big holes in it, and so it was not to my liking, but the best 10" was Nice.

My INV+ Indian Creek .665 shot great numbers right out of the gate.  The same choke in my 870 didn't start out as hot, but over time as I've run more and more turkey loads through it, it seems to be shooting better and better.