OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Copper pots, what makes them special/different?

Started by kevin2, April 03, 2013, 11:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin2

I honestly don't know what makes a copper pot different than say a slate or glass, or even a ceramic for that matter. I've read several great things about them being great in the field, but really no information on their characteristics AS they differ from other surfaces.

I did have a couple fellas say that they are harder to master, vs. say a slate. Just wondering about what your thoughts are on the copper surface.

Just trying to soak it all in as fast as possible!
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

Cut*N*Run

Just a little bit different sound. I really like excited, agressive calling on copper. It just lends itself well to cutting and fighting purrs. With the right striker and conditioning, I find them as easy as other surfaces.

lightsoutcalls

I like to run my copper calls with a cedar striker and light pressure.  Mine have a medium-high pitch with some serious rasp.  They have a slight metallic tone, but really sound good.  It is hard to describe the sound exactly.  If you run one next to a slate call, you will definitely hear the difference.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

tbye3300

I've been making Copper calls for a couple years now. They are awesome! What i like best is the surface needs minimal sanding and care. I just whip it with everclear to clean it now and then. Killed one Wit the bullheads last week.

Good luck

M,Yingling

All calls that you mentioned is different from one another in sound (at least mine ) and its just some thing different in sound just like any other call... And no,, coppers not a hard surface to master ,,The striker tip may need a little more conditioning at times

But they do call in birds

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,34435.0.html

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

870BkWht

I think what makes the copper pots more different than other surfaces is the weight.  Copper is heavy compared to slate or crystal or aluminum, but it really boils down to the different pitches and tones that you get from copper that arent available in say plain glass or slate.  Every calling surface brings something to the table and has positives and negatives.  Ill give you my breakdown.

Positives-

Ability to go super loud
Really raspy
cuts, purrs, and one of the easiest surfaces to kee kee with in my opinion.

Negatives-
must condition surface more than glass or aluminum
fouls striker tip more than glass or slate or other surface

That  being said,  I own 2 copper pots and have hunted and called to turkeys with both pots.  Mike Yingling and Wendell Rye are the makers of my copper bots and both of them are in denser woods, Yingling is Persimmon, Lights Out is Osage.  Both make great calls. Just depends on how much you want to pay.

If you were to get a copper call, I will say this.  Do not buy a copper pot bigger than 3'' in diameter.  At one time I owned a copper call in an osage pot that was 3.5'' in diameter and it did not have the same benefits and negatives listed above.  The disadvantages far outnumbered the plus.

So there ya have it, my review of copper calls in general, and all from the mind of a hunter, pot call, enthusiast, and not a call maker.

dreis3

Quote from: 870BkWht on April 05, 2013, 08:42:03 AM

If you were to get a copper call, I will say this.  Do not buy a copper pot bigger than 3'' in diameter.  At one time I owned a copper call in an osage pot that was 3.5'' in diameter and it did not have the same benefits and negatives listed above.  The disadvantages far outnumbered the plus.

So there ya have it, my review of copper calls in general, and all from the mind of a hunter, pot call, enthusiast, and not a call maker.

Have you tried a copper call with a 3.25" surface?  I've never made, nor ran, a 3.5 copper pot, but have run a bunch with 3" surfaces and 3.25" (which is the size I make almost all of mine) and I prefer the 3.25 to 3, could just be my internals, but, I wouldn't say don't buy anything over a 3" surface.... Just my opinion  :camohat:
D. Reis Custom Calls
www.dreiscustomcalls.com

Hankyorke

I have 3 copper calls from 3 different makers. Two are well known around here.
The 3.5" is my favorite. The ONLY downfall is its weight. 3.5" copper over glass wrapped in cocobolo makes for a heavy pot. 

outdoors

Copper calls are great to have very easy too play , BUT YOU HAVE TO CONDITION IT ALOT MORE THAN THE OTHER CALLS , I HAVE.  3.5 , 3.25 , 3.00  The bigger the call is a lot deeper and the smaller the call . Striking service . The louder it is , I LIKE THE 3.00 inch BETTER THAN THE OTHER TWO ITS MORE OF A NATURAL SOUND . . . .  :funnyturkey:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field