OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

11-87 choke suggestions?

Started by Swamp, April 02, 2013, 06:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swamp

Just bought a new 11-87 need some choke suggestions. I've heard good things out of the jelly head .660 what are some more chokes to look at

Treeninja

The first question is what barrel is on it?

BandedSpur

Best choke overall that I have used in my 26" 1187 is an IC .665. PG .670 does well. For an inexpensive choke, the TG SSX does well. Mine is one of the few Rems I have heard of that doesn't do all that well with a JH, .660 or .665. Don't own one, but I hear great things about Sumtoys.

remmy1187

I have a 21" barrel on mine and the IC .665 has been the best choke for me by far.  Like Bandedspur, My gun does not do good with either of the JH chokes. 

R AJ

Quote from: Swamp on April 02, 2013, 06:46:01 PM
Just bought a new 11-87 need some choke suggestions. I've heard good things out of the jelly head .660 what are some more chokes to look at

Another MAJOR thing to consider is what shells/shot size/ lead ot HTL do you plan on using?
That is an easy on the recoil gun . My favorite in the 28" bbl is a 665 whether it be a Rem SF or Hastings when shooting the old Rem Hevi-shot #6s.

CntrlPA

Try a Ventilator if you get a chance. You can pick them up for less than $20. My 870 shoots great with one, i'm going to be trying out my 11-87 this weekend.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Swamp on April 02, 2013, 06:46:01 PM

I've shot 11-87s since shortly after they were introduced. My first gun came with a 24" barrel and I added a 26", 28" and 30" over the years. I bought a second as a back-up since I used that gun both for hunting and competition. I shot literally thousands of mostly turkey shells through the first one over many years.

During that time I tried every commercial choke that I found out about and if they were made in different e.d.s I tried them.

I found that the 26" and longer barrels did best and for the last few years I've shot the SSX with Hevi-13 shells through it. Recently, a friend wanted that gun more that I did, so I let him have it.

I still have the back-up gun and I have a Hybrid Turkey Choke in it. Since that choke is seldom available today, I'd recommend that you try the SSX or the Hevi-13 turkey choke.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Cutt

If you got a new 11-87 that came with a Wingmaster HD Predator/Turkey tube, don't overlook it.

I did at first,and bought a Jellyhead .660 and .665, then decided to try the factory tube after the fact. It did just as good as the Jellies, maybe a tad less with some shot, if I would have known, probablly wouldn't have bought the other chokes.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: remmy1187 on April 03, 2013, 08:38:11 AM
I have a 21" barrel on mine and the IC .665 has been the best choke for me by far.  Like Bandedspur, My gun does not do good with either of the JH chokes.

Join the club.  I kept hearing all this talk about how well these Jelly Head chokes shoot in the Rem barrels.  I tried the .665 and the .660 with the Hevi-13 3" 2oz #7 loads, and I also tried the .665 Inidan Creek BDS choke.  All 3 shot exactly about 200 in the 10".  I got rid of all of them.  I tried 4 Indian Creek BDS chokes within say 2 week time frame.  The .665 like ai already said, then went to the .655 which shot a lot better than the .665 at around 255 then I tried the .669 and it did around 265 and the .675 that did around 240.  I ended up going back and keeping the .669, and I later sold it due tot the fact that my .675 Super Max would out shoot it.  But I should of hung on to that .669 choke.  But that just goes to show how a .004 bigger choke diameter can make a huge difference in the way a barrel will shoot.  My barrel is 28" and my 870 is a 3" chamber.  So needless to say I am no Jelly head fan. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: CntrlPA on April 03, 2013, 09:15:15 AM
Try a Ventilator if you get a chance. You can pick them up for less than $20. My 870 shoots great with one, i'm going to be trying out my 11-87 this weekend.

That choke will work in all Rem barrels I believe.  For a .655 choke, I have done 282 shot in a 10" at a taped 40yds with Hevi-13 3" 2oz #7's out of my 3" 870 28" barrel. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

And for the record the .643 SSX choke was one of the worst chokes I tried in my 870 barrel. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

This choke will in my honest opinion and that goes for a lot of guys that swear by the Jelly Head will more than likely consistently out shoot the Jelly Heads in a lot of Rem barrels.  And it's cheaper.  That choke for the moeny is still the best choke I have found.  Now that is not counting the fact that I paid less than $30 for my MAD Super Max .675 choke off gunbroker that will out shoot it on warmer days.  But I'm atalking normal price.  MAD chokes originally were like $75. 

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/956890.htm

If you have a Rem gun that takes Rem chokes, you owe it to yourself to try this choke.  It shoots #6 loads very well too. 

VAarrowslinger

I shoot hevi 6's thru a jellyhead .665. Without the leupold, I would choose to open up the pattern some as the .665 throws a tight but huntable pattern

ILIKEHEVI-13

It was 283 shot, sorry about that.  Now I will post this here.  There are a couple of holes at the bottom right and bottom left.  But I have seen some more even patterns out of this choke that wasn't as many in the 10" as this one.  But I'll show it to you guys.  I think that was the very first shot I shot out of the new choke.  Like I said, this choke for the money will be hard to beat. 

I'll show you one more with Hevi-13 3" 1.75oz #6's.  I doubt if a Jelly Head .660 or .665 would do this with that small of a load.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Here's another more even one with the 2oz #7's.  But it was shot at a cool 45 degrees. 

That 283 above was shot at probably around 70 degrees.