OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Longbox making/tuning

Started by waddle13, April 02, 2013, 02:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waddle13

Hi, I'm starting out ,and realize there's quite an art to making calls . My first longbox I'm assembling is a Brookside kit . I think I've done everything fairly well ,and put it together after finishing/sealing wood . Chalked the paddle . The sounds that I'm getting from it are anything but turkey  :funnyturkey: Help!
Wanted to have fun learning this step before going on to make them from scratch . Any advice or your help with  books , DVDs , or internet resources would be greatly appreciated .

Thank you in advance for your time and help , Waddle13

ttcustomcalls

I have never attempted a box call kit so I'm not sure what stage of completion they come in. From the photos on brooksides page it looks like the calls are shaped and hollowed but I would assume that you need some knowledge of tuning practices to produce a working call from these kits. If you are unfamiliar with tuning a box call I would start with short boxes and try working to long boxes. Long boxes are much more difficult to tune. Hope this helps.

TJ

M R Ducks

I just made my first one last week.  I copied a Couple of calls I had, and it turned out ok. 

I did spend some time shaping the box sides sanding and filing them to taper from 1/4 to1/8 inch.  That bit of angle seems a critical factor.

Ducks

waddle13

TY , it's a lot of fun . Can see how this could get addicting.  :character0029:

Be Blessed and have a safe hunt , Waddle13