turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Resurrecting my old friend

Started by SgtUSMC, April 01, 2013, 09:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SgtUSMC

Hey guys, after doing a bunch of reading on the 20 gauge forum I've decided to break out the ol beat up 870 youth 20 that my dad gave me on my 12th birthday. 

I have a Truglo gobbler stopper .565 (I think) and a Jellyhead 570 on the way. 

I also chose to shoot the Fed Heavyweights being that they have a 1/2 oz more shot, and from reading about them on here.

Question here is does anybody use either of the 2 chokes above and the Fed's?   I've read about a bunch of other chokes on here with the 20's. I shoot an IC BDS in my 12 Supernova and I haven't been able to get a bad pattern out of it with any shell yet.   But instead of spending any more money I'd like to hear other's results.

Not really big on the numbers and but would like a very even killing pattern with a lil room for error since this gun will be handed down to my son hopefully by this time next year for some mentored youth action.   

ahfox16

I had an 870 20 gauge and it shot by far the best with an Indian Creek .555  I was using the special Nitro Ray 20 gauge shells (size 7) and averaged right around 200 hits at 40 yards in the 10" circle.  My second best choke was the remington factory superfull which was supposed to only be used for lead.  I shot 6 hevi-shot and averaged right around 110 hits, but it as a honest 40 yard gun with zero doubt.  Nice even pattern out to 20" or so.

remmy1187

I have also had very good results with the IC .555 in my 870 shooting hevi shot reloads from light loads for the kids to heavy loads for myself.   This is out of youth 870 with 21" barrel.