turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Problems with sx3

Started by wingbonehntr, March 31, 2013, 01:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wingbonehntr

I have a new Winchester sx3 that will not cycle a shell from the mag tube. Until this week I have only shot solos at the patterning board. I shot a turkey this week with nitro's and it didn't cycle a new shell out of mag. I got to investigating and found that the nitro's were 1/8" longer than the hevis. The second nitro would not click all the way into the mag tube, so I figured this was the problem and switched to hevi shot. They fit into mag tube but with no room to spare. I shot my second gobbler yesterday with hevi shot. Same result ,ejected the shot shell but would not release a second from mag tube. Thinking of cutting my plug down to see if that solves the problem. Have any of you had this problem ?  Thanks Brent

lr308

Different gun,SPR 453 but same exact thing happen to me but it only happens with 3 1/2 " shells, works fine with 2 3/4 or 3". I am going to order a new magazine spring and recoil spring and try that.Can always float the shell above the carrier but I can't stand it when guns don't work like they're supposed to

BPShunter

I've got a Maxus that eats 3.5 Nitros H510H all day long.  Its never not cycled a shell.  Are you shooting the recommended shell (H510H) for Browning/Winchester?  Some of the different shells are longer.

BPShunter

Frank_T

I have an sx3 I use for duck hunting and have had that happen to me but only after the gun had not been thoroughly cleaned for a while. My problem was that there was crud behind the mag stop and it wasn't compressing enough to let the next shell come out on its own . You said your gun was new though so not sure that could be your problem.

R AJ

There may be grease stuck in the magazine or holding pressure on the mag plug.
Also you may have a problem with the forwarder being slightly out of line and not allowing enough room for the shell inside the magazine to move up into the chamber. Check this out by putting  one in chamber and two in magazine and pull back on the bolt. It of course should eject the shell and pick up one from the magazine. If not it is a bad dog not catching the shell lip or the flange on the forwarder has been bent inward on the right upper side.
Hope this helps. That is now a mucho expensive single shot!!

wingbonehntr

I pulled the magazine retainer cap off and there is a metal plate with 3 prongs on it. It was not snapped into place. After snapping it into place it allowed my plug to move up about 1/2", thus letting my shells to go into magazine a good 1/2". It cycled perfectly by hand. Gonna take it to the range this weekend and make sure it cycles well. I'm leaving for Texas, Kansas and Missouri in a week and definitely don't want to be carrying a single shot. I will have my browning silver as backup. Thanks for the help. 
                                              Brent