OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

20ga 870 express choke recommendations

Started by neohiohunter, March 25, 2013, 03:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neohiohunter

I know I know u guys see this all the time and there are plenty of threads on this but I just bought a 20ga with a 26" barrel what choke would u recommend with the gun having a longer barrel? I'm pretty sure I'm gonna shoot the federal heavy weights or possible hevi shot

patrick4

I have the same setup for my son. I just bought the Jelly Head and patterned it with Hevi Weight Blend and out to 30 yards it is awesome. I would go a little farther but I limit my 11 year old at 30 yards.

neohiohunter

R AJ

JH s are 560.  The 26" is my choice of barrel length and many chokes do well in that gun, depending on your preferences.

The Sumtoy , IC, SSX, PG, JH, PrimosTW have all given good to excellent patterns using H-13 #7s and Fed HW #7s in my gun. 110s - 160s  at 40 yds in 10" .

Your price range from $20 - $70 or so.

neohiohunter

Great thanks I'm leaning toward the ssx.

bushwhacker

I have an 870 with a 26" barrel and the federal heavyweight 7's did 140 in 10 at 40 yards. My barrel is not polished and it was dirty. If I did a little work to it no doubt it would do better. The was with an undertaker .570. The primos tightwad put 136 in 10 at 40. These are both $20 chokes.

Philippe

If you are going to shoot the fed heavyweights dont waste your money on a choke with wad catchers or ports. Get the remington super full extended that is rated for hevi-shot or get the D&D Haymaker.

neohiohunter

Anyone have experience with the haymaker choke? And wheres the best place to get it?

gophert

Quote from: neohiohunter on March 25, 2013, 08:06:16 PM
Great thanks I'm leaning toward the ssx.

If you are shooting a 26" barrel, the smallest I would go with would be the Indian Creek .555.  That longer barrel is going to be real tight with the SSX .550 and may blow the pattern out, but there is really no way to be sure until you shoot one.  You may be able to search on here and see if someone has a pattern posted with an SSX and a 26" barrel. 

I'm thinking that the .570 is going to be a more consistent choke and that will be an easy one to find. I would stick with the Primos Tightwad or a Remington Super Full in the medium price range.  The Haymaker just come out this year, but based on discussions I had with the Indian Creek guys at the NWTF Convention it's the real deal and made to shoot the Federals. 

Haymaker:
http://www.midwestturkeycall.com/detail.asp?pid=HMT009&cc=T&dn=1

Indian Creek:
http://www.midwestturkeycall.com/detail.asp?pid=ICSS12&link=

davisd9

Tried the SSX in a Remington 11-87 with 26" barrel and it was a waste of money.  The SSX is amazing the shorter barrel Remington 20s but not the longer barrel, in my experience.  I have a Sumtoy for Hevi 7s and a RSF.  They shoot equal with the RSF having a more even pattern overall.  Mine also shoots better the second and third shot without cleaning the barrel in between shots.  Have not shot past that with dirty barrel.

Listen to gophert and get the more open choke.  Would not mind getting a tightwad to see what it does or a JH, but the season is here on Saturday in SC, youth day, and it is time to hunt.  :)
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

neohiohunter

Thanks guys. I'm getting a JH and a tighwad and gonna shoot them both and go from there

longbow59

I have the same gun/barrel my shoots great with a .570 jellyhead. My choice of shell is the Federal #7 hevishot.