OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

READY TO GIVE UP!!!!! REM 20 GA!

Started by Rem Man, March 24, 2013, 11:20:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CntrlPA

Quote from: savduck on March 25, 2013, 09:29:48 AM
It may also be the lot numbers. If your shooting 3U lots you will be lucky to get anything decent. He new lots or last years 3V lots should be in the 140 range or better with SSX and Sumtoy.

That's good to hear, i have and can still buy the 3V lots locally.

surehuntsalot

it's bad when you have to chase lot #'s
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

wvcurlytop

Federals with the FCW in the guns I've patterned have shot best with a full or modified choke. 

I have a 20 gauge and I ended up buying a kicks choke tube for it.  But I don't use federals in it either.  Remingtons and winchesters shot best in it with the kicks.  I also don't clean mine every shot.  That is just mine though.  I don't use it, but have it for some future kids who want to go, HOPEFULLY.  Hope this helps.  Everyone has some good ideas and try them all.  It is cheaper to fix what you have than to buy a new one.  I don't remember the exact numbers I got for the pattern, but it was sufficient out to 35 yards, but 40-I'm not so sure.  It opened up a good bit.  I should try the hevi shot sometime, but like you have found, things get expensive!!

davisd9

Quote from: SKFOOTER on March 25, 2013, 01:15:01 PM
Quote from: davisd9 on March 25, 2013, 07:44:10 AM
Quote from: surehuntsalot on March 24, 2013, 10:33:59 PM
now this is just food for thought,but some guns like a somewhat dirty barrel over being cleaned every time

My first shot on a clean barrel is around 90, my second shot without cleaning is around 120-125, and my third shot without cleaning is around 130-140.  Remington 11-87 20 ga with 26" barrel.
With what choke??

Sumtoy and RSF.  Tried an SSX and my 26" barrel did not like it at all.  Best I got with it was 115 on the 4th or 5th shot.  Wasted a good bit of ammo before I figured out the dirty barrel was improving my pattern.  That is with Hevi 3" 7s.  Going to try a Fed in the RSF this weekend after my nephew and I hunt on Saturday for youth day.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer