turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

READY TO GIVE UP!!!!! REM 20 GA!

Started by Rem Man, March 24, 2013, 11:20:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rem Man

Hi guys I got problems! I have a Remington 870 20 gauge youth 22 inch barrell. I have been to the range 3 times. I tried a Truglo SSX, Rem Super Full, and a Primos Tightwad. I am shooting at 30 yards with Fereral HW#7 and did shoot some Federal HW #6. I am going broke buying shells. I can't seem to get a good pattern. I have deep cleaned the gun and made sure the barrell and red dot is tight and secure. I clean the barrell every couple shots also. I shot some Federal Turkey Thug #5 and only got about 70 pellets in a 10 inch plate at 30 yrds. I am so frustrated I am ready to sell the gun.

ANY IDEAS!!!! THANK YOU!

chatterbox

William at SumToy chokes can help you. He has a choke that is lights out with the heviweight 7's.

M R Ducks

Sometimes less is more....  Federal shells with the flight control wad are designed to shoot out of factory chokes.  Some other forums say that best patterns come with more open, factory chokes. Try a factory mod or improved cylinder, see if that helps.  if the chokes you are using are designed To strip the wad, this is also supposed to adversely affect flight control wad patterns.

Ducks

gophert

Quote from: Rem Man on March 24, 2013, 11:20:25 AM
     I clean the barrell every couple shots also.

What do you mean by this?  Are you running a bore snake through it or running some type of oil substance down the barrel? 

remmy1187

Are you shooting a large target and then putting your ten inch around the densest part of your pattern?   

Rem Man

I just run a dry patch down the barrell and then shoot. I draw a 20 inch circle on a large sheet of paper and then put a 10 inch circle inside. I then shoot for the center of the 10 inch circle. I find the dense part of the pattern and draw a little circle on it. I then put the gun back in the vise and put the red dot on the original aiming point and move it to the dense part and shoot again.

surehuntsalot

now this is just food for thought,but some guns like a somewhat dirty barrel over being cleaned every time
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

SumToy

Ok How did the gun shoot before the clean job?  How did you do that?  You can make a bad gun good but a good gun bad also.   Now If everything is good with the barrel get one of my chokes or a IC you should be ready.  Both should go 140 to 150 with the bad lots and 160 rang with the new lots.   :anim_25:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

gophert

Quote from: surehuntsalot on March 24, 2013, 10:33:59 PM
now this is just food for thought,but some guns like a somewhat dirty barrel over being cleaned every time

This is true as well.  You might shoot it dirty and see if anything changes.

Yes, you may need to bite the bullet and get a good quality choke.  The one's you have are ok, but can be finicky.  I've shot all of them with mediocre to bad results out of my 870's. Just as William said, I have found that the Indian Creek .555 or any of Sumtoy's are usually good and put up very consistent numbers.

davisd9

My first shot on a clean barrel is around 90, my second shot without cleaning is around 120-125, and my third shot without cleaning is around 130-140.  Remington 11-87 20 ga with 26" barrel.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Rem Man

I cleaned my gun as Clark recomends with the bore brush and hopes #9. I think the gun shoots ok but not like some of the guns from members here. I also noticed that the HW #7s rattle very bad (Is this normal?) I guess I will have to get a Sum Toy man this is crazy I spent alot of money this year on this gun and patterning business!!!!! I have killed alot of birds but always just grabbed the gun and went. Thanks for all the help!!

savduck

The federals shoot terrible dirty in all my guns. Just running a dry patch isn't getting them clean. Try a patch soaked in denatured alcohol. You get it in the paint section of lowes or Home Depot. My Remington does not shoot well dirty. I was bore snaking mine and still not getting all the junk out. The alcohol will do it.

It may also be the lot numbers. If your shooting 3U lots you will be lucky to get anything decent. He new lots or last years 3V lots should be in the 140 range or better with SSX and Sumtoy.
Georgia Boy

Brian Stewart

Try using denatured alcohol on a cut up white shirt and soak it and run the patches down your barrel until you come out white. Kind of like getting the copper out of a rifle barrel. But you will remove the oil and plastic out of the barrel. That will really clean it I was surprised at all the plastic build up in my barrel when I ran the first patch in it. The Sumtoy chokes are great with the Federal #7 HW. If it won't shoot with a particular choke William will get you into the choke you need. I know it is aggrevating and expensive trying to get one to shoot for sure but before I got my newest 20ga I had a Sumtoy choke ordered before I brought it home that does save on the headache part a little.
But as for me and my family, we will serve the LORD.  Joshua 24:15

SKFOOTER

Quote from: davisd9 on March 25, 2013, 07:44:10 AM

My first shot on a clean barrel is around 90, my second shot without cleaning is around 120-125, and my third shot without cleaning is around 130-140.  Remington 11-87 20 ga with 26" barrel.
With what choke??

Sand Man

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!