turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Not so good patterning today

Started by ahfox16, March 23, 2013, 12:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahfox16

Might have been the fact it was 19 degrees.  guessing that didn't help.  Anyway, tried my new Carlson at .575 and averaged 111 hits (10" circle) at a measured 40 yards using the the federal heavyweight in size 7.  That was the average of 3 shots.  I actually had a regular hevi-13 in size 7 that I tried and it was clearly better (although not steller) at 137 hits at the same distance.

Just for grins, I tried a shot of Heavyweight 7's out of my Indian Creek .555 which is ported and it was no better (or worse) then the Carlsons also at circa 115 hits at 40 yards.  That pattern as really patching and I'm guessing those wad stripper played hell with the flitecontrol wad.

Appreciate any ideas.  I've got receipt for the Indian Creek, which I used last week with the Hevi-13 size 7 and it wasn't steller with that either.  I'm beginning to think my 26" Nova might like a more open choke because the .555 doesn't seem to be cutting it.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

PS.  I have zero doubt the hevi-13's in size 7 would stone a turkey at 40 yards (137 hits isn't bad).  I was just hoping for a bit better result.

FYI, I had a little charles daly 20 gauge (since sold) that averaged 185 hits using a .555 Indian Creek, but I was using Nitro Ray's size 7's.  Maybe those shells are just way better then anything else on the market.

R AJ

If it was 19 degrees and you got over 100 in the 10 inch you are doing good. I would shoot that gun all day long especially my shots are generally much less than 40 yards. You are getting better numbers from the H-13 even at 1 1/4 oz. shot over the 1 1/2 oz. HWs and that is normal with me . Personally,I'd use either shell and wait for warmer weather before buying any more chokes .

jtoliver43

Ive noticed that many of you take the temperature into strong consideration when patterning your shots. How exactly is it that the colder temperatures affect your patterns?
Conserve. Hunt. Share.

turkey_slayer

Quote from: jtoliver43 on March 23, 2013, 02:38:01 PM
Ive noticed that many of you take the temperature into strong consideration when patterning your shots. How exactly is it that the colder temperatures affect your patterns?

Cold air is dense so it spreads the pattern. Barometric pressure, wind, humidity, temp, altitude all play a role. The world record nwtf shoot was shot in like 98 degree weather