turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Oh Gosh! I bit the bullet today! New Gun! Need Advice-

Started by TheSportsman, March 06, 2011, 08:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSportsman

Hey guys, as alot of you know, I have been toying with the idea of buying a Benelli Super Black Eagle I.  My 870 does the job and puts up good numbers but ive just wanted a good semi-auto gun to turkey hunt with.  Well... I went to the gun show today and came across one.  The gun was used but is very very very clean.  It looks like it hasnt been shot at all.  Even better, it is left handed, haha the gun was made for me...  Anyways, I got him down pretty low on the price(825.00).... So I think I did very good for as clean as it is.  First thing to do is polish the barrel tonight and break it down and do a deep clean.  Second of yall, the fun part- guys what do I need to do for chokes and loads....  My brother has a Kicks GT in .660 that he said I could try in it.  He also has a factory full and a factory xtra full.  I was thinking of picking up a Indian Creek for it???? Or a Jellyhead? Any preference???  Ive heard the Benellis like the tighter chokes?  Ive got some Win XR 5s and 6s and some Hevi Shot MBs and some 2oz 6s....    What do you guys think i should try????????  Our season starts first of April, so I gotta get on this pretty quick-  Ideas, and opinions please? Do you think the Kicks would do ok shooting Hevi or Win XR through it????  Ive heard not to shoot the stuff through them but I dont see where it would hurt anything?  The gun has a 26" barrel which I like- can get the max velocities.  Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated!  Man its fun buying a new gun, im fired up and ready to do some new testing!     :thanks:

hookedspur

Try what you have if it works go with it this year and if you can improve after season it gives you a fun project to work on.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Jourdan_D

Congratulations and I have a bunch of Chokes if ur interested in them let me know.

drum817

My suggestion would be to cut straight to the chase and get an I C and shoot the Hevi-13 #7's....you "should" be in business right off the bat with that combo !!!
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

Hognutz

I second the motion. You won't be dissapointed with an IC and H-13 #7's.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

gophert

boyhowdy

I've been fooling with one with a 26 inch barrel this year - shooting 3.5 Mag Blends with a .660 Jelly Head its shooting 210-220 in a 10" at 40 yds with a clean barrel, dirty barrel the gun is shooting from 170-180 it shoots to POA with the bead and as far as I'm concerned the pattern is even and looks good. The 3.5 2.25 oz heavy #6's shot just a little to the left of POA, probably not more than a couple of inches, but after I shot a few MB's I said that's it for me I'm leaving it alone

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

TheSportsman

Yall think the Kicks .660 with a Win XR 5s or 6s might do ok?

njdevilsb

Not much more fun than a new turkey gun.  Good luck getting her dialed in.

Mailman

Congats on gun. I would get IC .665 thats what I have and it works great. As far as your gun and those loads you'll just have to shoot'em. If ya aint got time send it to me I will shoot them up.
One Shot One Kill

Mailman

If it where me I would not polish the barrel. Chrome lining is thin and its not needed in that SBE2. Try it first. would hate to see you toast the barrel for no reason. Just my .02
One Shot One Kill

TheSportsman

mudhen

Quote from: TheSportsman on March 07, 2011, 06:48:25 PM
Its not a SBE II, its a SBE I...

There is no SBE I  ;D

The SBE is chome lined too.

I have had several SBE's, and none were that great with patterns, but I switched to other guns long before IC & H-13 came along.

I'm sure the IC/H-13 crowd is quite correct though!

Funny how you went for an SBE after an 870, and I just went to an 870 after 20 years of SBE's  :)

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

TheSportsman

Thanks for info.  But its just something I wanted.  I had one about 10 years ago.  I loved it and killed a lot of birds.  The gun got stolen from me.  I miss it so much. So when i saw this one, I had to have it.  Im comfortable with them, so i grabbed it.  Im gonna make a killer out of it.  Im gonna still hunt with my 870 too.. I just enjoy the benellis.  The Benelli that I had that got stolen was incredible on the pattern boards with lead.  After the season, im gonna let Rob Roberts have it and get it tweeked. Thanks for input though.