turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Got an invite...

Started by lightsoutcalls, March 22, 2013, 09:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

I got a call Wednesday from a gentleman by the name of Sam Lester here in AR.  Every spring for nearly a dozen years he has sponsored a youth turkey hunt in the Heber Springs, AR area.  Sam is a retired game and fish officer and now guides trout fishing excursions on the Little Red River near Greers Ferry Lake. 
I had the privilege of taking my middle daughter to participate in this hunt.  Her guide for the hunt was none other than Scott Hook of Hook's calls.  That was an awesome weekend that none of us will ever forget. 
These folks know how to do it up right.  They provide lodging and meals for the participants.  The kids get all kinds of freebies.  When my daughter went, she got new camo pants, shirt, insulated jacket, Alpen compact binoculars, headnet and gloves and several other little trinkets like pencils/pens and a small tape measure (for beards and spurs).  The kids were all given a mouth call and given some basic calling instructions on the first evening.  They were treated to some entertainment such as hunting stories and a voice call demonstration.  Just before heading off to get some rest, they had a calling contest to let the kids try their hand with the mouth calls they had received.  As you can imagine, they weren't quite ready for the "big stage", but all had fun with some friendly competition.  The kids get to hunt on selected private properties with a guide.  The year we went, there were 4 birds killed the first morning.  It seems they had another bird brought in that afternoon before we left.  If need be, they get to hunt the Sunday morning as well.  The atmosphere is very family oriented and something those kids will never forget.
ANYWAY, Sam called and asked if I could make the hunt this year.  He knows I will donate some calls for their silent auction, which helps offset the expenses for the weekend.  I have been so busy with making calls and my 2 jobs... and was just asked to take care of the grounds of another property this year (now have 3 commercial properties to mow and do minor landscaping).  The youth hunt is the weekend of 4/13, and I am planning to take the following weekend off to hunt in OK with a friend coming in from MT.  I kicked around the idea of taking 2 weekends in a row off from my evening job, 2 weekends off from building calls and 3 days total off from my day job.  It probably shouldn't be so difficult to make that kind of decision, but...  A MAN'S GOT TO HUNT!  ;D
I called Sam back yesterday and asked if he would have a kid for me to guide if I committed to making the hunt.  He didn't have to even think about it...  "I sure do", he said.  I think I'm honestly more excited about this youth hunt with a kid I haven't even met than I am about my hunt the following weekend.  BRING ON THE TURKEYS!
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

redarrow

I can't think of a more deserving individual Wendell. When our time comes to meet the maker face to face we will never say I should have mowed the lawn. Take the time,bless a child,and enjoy yourself. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Gumby

That sounds like a great event...have fun!

BOFF

That's AWESOME Wendell!!!

I'm looking forward to reading the story of the hunt, and seeing the smile of the young hunter, you, and the group in the pictures!!

God Bless,
David B.

AUDoubleBeard

Quote from: BOFF on March 22, 2013, 12:03:26 PM
That's AWESOME Wendell!!!

I'm looking forward to reading the story of the hunt, and seeing the smile of the young hunter, you, and the group in the pictures!!

God Bless,
David B.

X2  :icon_thumright:

stone road turkey calls

good luck to you and your young friend
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

DirtNap647