turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

20 gauge - What to consider/avoid?

Started by alclark2, March 22, 2013, 02:00:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alclark2

I've been lurking in your 20 gauge section for a little while. I see a lot of people shooting youth 870s with a 21" barrel successfully. I saw some pattern pics from an SSX that looked nice. If I go 20 gauge next year or before my Indiana season what are some guns that you recommend and guns to avoid? It looks like a lot of folks shoot a 870. My 12 gauge is a 835 and I shoot lead through it. I figured if I go 20 gauge I'll pattern it to shoot Hevi straight 7s or Federal 7s to extend the range a bit.
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

Carp

Seems like that is a winning combination.

gophert

There are a lot of good combo's out there.  You can really spend as much as you want depending if you go auto or pump.  I think you see more 870's because they are readily available and cost very little and shoot very well.  There are also lots of add on options as far as stocks and such for the 870.  On the flip side, the mossy's, benelli's, and 1187 are all great 20's and all put up great numbers.  Good luck and welcome to the madness!

Tim

remmy1187

Quote from: gophert on March 22, 2013, 07:44:37 AM
There are a lot of good combo's out there.  You can really spend as much as you want depending if you go auto or pump.  I think you see more 870's because they are readily available and cost very little and shoot very well.  There are also lots of add on options as far as stocks and such for the 870.  On the flip side, the mossy's, benelli's, and 1187 are all great 20's and all put up great numbers.  Good luck and welcome to the madness!

Tim
Very well said gophert.   I would go with what feels/fits good to you and is in your budget.  With the right choke and load combination you will more than likely be able to get decent numbers with any of these guns.

surehuntsalot

just about anything you pick in a 20ga is not hard to work with and get set up into a good hunting rig
it's not the harvest,it's the chase