turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

purple heart wood

Started by slyoldtom, February 17, 2013, 11:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slyoldtom

I was thinking of using it in a box call! I have a purple heart striker and it sounds awesome  on my slate and glass. Any suggestions?

lightsoutcalls

I have heard some great sounding boxes with purpleheart lids.  It works well with a mahogany box.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

dreis3

Makes a good lid! I have a good sounding purpleheart over chestnut short box
D. Reis Custom Calls
www.dreiscustomcalls.com

lightsoutcalls

I forgot that I have a purpleheart over sassafras box.  It sounds great as well.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

jakebird

Quote from: slyoldtom on February 17, 2013, 11:18:25 PM
I was thinking of using it in a box call! I have a purple heart striker and it sounds awesome  on my slate and glass. Any suggestions?
Oh, geesh....I seem to remember misplacing a certain purple heart striker last spring, bud. You wouldn't have any idea where i may have put it, do you? I sure miss that old sassy talkin purple heart striker....   :D
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

magnoliagamecalls

Purpleheart over Mahogany is a great combo. I wouldnt attempt it for a box

slyoldtom

Hey thanks for the replies it sounds like purple heart and mahogany is what I'll try first and others sounds good too! Just gettin ready for spring! thanks again

slyoldtom

Hey jakebird not sure where your striker got to.????? Good luck I hope you find it before spring!!

cypresscreek

Pupleheart over mahogany,poplar,sassafras,cedar- All sound great with purpleheart. Purpleheart is my go to lid for eatern red cedar-always produces. I have made a box call out of pupleheart- sounded great but man was it tough to tune!! Have not done one since.
Rick Ferlita
Cypress Creek Turkey Calls
Mossy Oak Pro Staff

triune

I'm with Rick, made one purpleheart box and it finally turned out well but won't do another one.  Use if often for a paddle though.  Good luck!

Cervinae

Is it best practice to not use identical wood for box and lid?  What type of wood do you recommend for walnut and oak box?