turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What's up in the South???

Started by marshboy, March 21, 2013, 10:17:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marshboy

I'm new to the turkey hunting game, so help me understand.  Why are thread after thread from AL and MS filled with reports of gobblers not gobbling?
It was my understanding that the photoperiod dictates the breeding activities.  Is breeding going on?  Are the birds still in winter groups?  Are the birds so henned up they don't have to gobble?
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Greg

RemingtonRules

Gobbling attracts hens and predators.  When they have plenty of hens why gobble.  They usually don't gobble on the ground as they are let's say busy.  I have seen a turkey drum on a limb and fly down with his hens.  I have seen them gobble one time on a limb have their 15 hens fly down first.  He then flew down and immediately went into strut never saying another word. 

Also, turkeys are like cats they do what they want when they want to and there is no pattern to it.

savduck

My experience this weekend is that the all groups just started breaking up earlier last week. Usually when this occurs there is lots of fighting between gobblers. Dominant birds separate the other gobblers out of the flock and gather their hens. So...sub dominant gobblers are hesitant to gobble because they have had their  butts whipped. Yelping hens means dominant gobblers around that would whip them, so they lurk around and stay quiet.

The dominant birds stay roosted with the hens. They  have no need to gobble to attract hens because they are already with them. They will drum on the tree branch and on the ground. Even though they are with the hens doesn't mean hens are ready to breed so the gobblers follow them around and Strutt all the time.

We heard some gobbles tis past weekend in SC, we got on turkeys all day. We could observe them and this is exactly what we saw and experienced all weekend.

In about two weeks, the satellite gobblers will have forgotten about their butt whipping and the hens will started breeding and leaving for nest. You will start hearing some gobbling because gobblers will have to start searching again.
Georgia Boy

marshboy

So would you say that the photoperiod sets the stage, so to speak, but that the weather/temps dictate breeding on that stage?

savduck

I don't know. The birds vary every year week to week. It may have something to do with it. I don't worry about that kind of stuff. I get in the woods and scout and figure out what they are doing.
Georgia Boy

Oconeeguy

They were gobbling from three different directions last weekend at dawn at Redlands WMA here in Georgia. Gobbles from 7:21a.m. for about 30 min then silence rest of the morning. Henned up ?

My son they are also starting to gobble in South Georgia as well. 

marshboy

Quote from: savduck on March 21, 2013, 09:06:55 PM
I don't know. The birds vary every year week to week. It may have something to do with it. I don't worry about that kind of stuff. I get in the woods and scout and figure out what they are doing.

Sound advice.  Still, why very little gobbling, especially compared to last year? 
I bet the average temps during the couple of weeks prior to the openers, as well as the temps during opening week, were significantly warmer last spring.
Greg

savduck

Birds were several weeks early in their breeding cycle last year. Hence what I described happening this past weekend in SC happened several weeks before the season started last year. Last year was warmer.

We heard gobbling Saturday and Sunday last week. Not a lot, but enough to locate birds.
Georgia Boy