OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

870 help!!!!

Started by brandonmacd1, March 20, 2013, 09:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wmd

I had similar results out of an 1187 Compact 20.  I tried chokes from .550 - .572 and only broke 100 once.  Guy sitting next to me used my shells in his 870 Compact with a .550 SSX and got 150-170.  Never could figure it out.  I never tried the alchohol cleaning, but neither did he.  Odd and frustrating.  I went with the Hevi 7s and had over 140.  Maybe I will try the alcohol because I would much rather shoot the HW 7s.

brandonmacd1

Alright, I cleaned my barrel with alcohol today and went out to shoot again. The farthest shot I could get was 38 yards but close enough i guess. First, the bad news, with the federal HW #7's I was still getting 100 hits in the 10". Now the good news, I think, with Heavy 13 #7's I am averaging 148. What do you guys think? Stick with it or try another choke?

remmy1187

It will do the job for sure, but you could try another choke, you can never have too many chokes.

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: brandonmacd1 on March 21, 2013, 12:11:54 PM
seems like it. The pellets are there its just not very dense.

Could be, but I am running in the 120's with HWT 6's in my 21" with a SumToy 562-5.

alclark2

Its seems like that Federal FCW is finicky with chokes. Good move on the switch to the Hevi 7s. You won't put a gobblers head in that circle and not roll him.  :OGturkeyhead:
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

jtoliver43

I had the same problem today. I put 100 in ten inches at 40 with heavyweight 7's. Thru a REM super full hevi.870 youth 20. Dead on at 15 yards with dove loads. I had a tighter pattern at 20 with dove load than I did with the heavyweight 7s. I don't know what to do now. Mind you the wind was howling. Any suggestions?
Conserve. Hunt. Share.

brandonmacd1

The only thing I can suggest is try some heavy 13 #7's. my barrel was polished and cleaned with alcohol and just simply didn't like the federals with any choke I tried.

brandonmacd1

Thanks again for all the inputs and help fellas! It was much appreciated.

jtoliver43

Will an evenly dispersed 100 in a 10 @ 40 do the deed?
Conserve. Hunt. Share.

brandonmacd1

I would say so. I hunted with an old single shot for a couple of years that was getting far less than 100 and never missed one. I did limit my shots to less than 40 though. I prob would have stuck with the federals if I was getting a nice even pattern but it wasn't at all. I also tried other shells and chokes just because there are so many people getting well over 100 in the 10, so I thought why not mine. That's just my 2 cents though, I'm sure some veterans here can give you more advice.

gophert

Quote from: brandonmacd1 on March 21, 2013, 06:20:52 PM
Alright, I cleaned my barrel with alcohol today and went out to shoot again. The farthest shot I could get was 38 yards but close enough i guess. First, the bad news, with the federal HW #7's I was still getting 100 hits in the 10". Now the good news, I think, with Heavy 13 #7's I am averaging 148. What do you guys think? Stick with it or try another choke?

That will kill a bird all day and twice on Sunday!!!!!   Each gun has their liking.  My gun never did shoot hevi's very well.  I would always run in the low 120's.  All however, will bust a bird stone dead.  One more question, what is the outside temp of where  you are shooting?

brandonmacd1

I am not really sure exactly what it was. I'm pretty sure it was in the 60's both days that I shot though.

Carp

Quote from: jtoliver43 on March 21, 2013, 09:18:07 PM
Will an evenly dispersed 100 in a 10 @ 40 do the deed?

Shoot, I reckon so..... :OGturkeyhead: