turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

870 help!!!!

Started by brandonmacd1, March 20, 2013, 09:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brandonmacd1

I started having heart troubles a while back and the docs orders were not to shoot a 12 gauge any time soon. So, i took the plunge and got a 870 youth 20 gauge with the 21" barrel. From there I got an ssx choke and shooting federal hw #7's. Here's the thing I am only averaging about 100 hits in a 10" circle. The barrel has been polished and it has a red dot so my poa and poi are the same. Isn't this a low count?

brandonmacd1

O yeah. I have also tried a ic, tight wad, and jelly head and none got above 90 in the 10".

redarrow

Sounds low to me. Are you certain poa/poi is the same.I assume you shot it at 15-20 yards with a dove load to check ???

brandonmacd1

I am positive. Just in case I was off though I shot at a 4' by 4' piece of cardboard and that was at the most dense area.

mossyoakpro

My 870 youth actually prefers the more open choke....I am shooting a Sumtoy 570 in mine after trying all of his chokes.  At no time did I ever get numbers that low.  What lot number shells are you shooting???
Phillippians 4:13

brandonmacd1

SKFOOTER

Quote from: brandonmacd1 on March 20, 2013, 10:44:49 PM
PHT258F 7
That's the model # for the 20 gauge loads.  The Lot # is located inside one of the end flaps on the box. 

brandonmacd1

I don't have any sense. I have never looked at one to be honest. It is 5P-37PN737 it looks like. The ink is pretty patchy

sevetts

i would suggest to anyone shooting fed heavywieghts out of a 20 to try a carlsons non ported .575, ive shot em out of several guns and havent found a choke that shoots a flite control wad better. for less than 30 bucks its a great investment...

chris30br

Quote from: brandonmacd1 on March 20, 2013, 11:22:42 PM
I don't have any sense. I have never looked at one to be honest. It is 5P-37PN737 it looks like. The ink is pretty patchy
Very low 10" count. I have the same lot number and have shot two shell.and they averaged 167. Give Sumtoy a call and he will get ya going

bushwhacker

I shoot a .570 undertaker in my 870. It has a 26 inch unpolished barrel and I get 140's average in the 10" at 40 yards.

gophert

OK before you go spending lots of money on different chokes there are a few things I would suggest. 

Make sure your barrel is clean with NO sign of oil in the barrel.  I would even suggest swabbing it with rubbing alcohol until it is super clean and dry.  My next thing would be to try a different box of shells.  There are occasions where you just get a bad batch.  Although it doesn't happen a lot, I have seen it.

If you are saying that you have tried an Indian Creek and got similar numbers something is definitely up and I don't think it's the choke.  I have seen my patterns vary due to oil in the barrel by more than 200 holes in the 10" so it does happen.

If none of that works, then I would start the choke search.  My first call or pm would be to william at Sumtoy.  He will work with you and get the choke you need for your gun. 

brandonmacd1

Thanks for all of the help everybody. I finally found some hevi 13 #7's, so I am going to clean my barrel again and give them a try. I only have until April 7th before surgery so I hope they work so I can hit the woods. If not I guess the choke hunt is on again.

remmy1187

Not trying to be a smart a** but are you sure they are actually 7's.  Correct me if im wrong fellas, but I think last year there were some guys that had heavyweight 7's that were loaded with 6's from the factory.

brandonmacd1

seems like it. The pellets are there its just not very dense.