OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New 870 SM 26" Barrel Choke Shell Combo Question

Started by taylorjones20, March 20, 2013, 02:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taylorjones20

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I just got my Hevi #7's in and I am going to have to wait for the weather to warm up a bit.   Hopefully tomorrow I can post some pics of my pattern.

Alive only by the Grace Of God

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: taylorjones20 on March 25, 2013, 11:32:13 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions.  I just got my Hevi #7's in and I am going to have to wait for the weather to warm up a bit.   Hopefully tomorrow I can post some pics of my pattern.

Good luck.

If that Jelly Head don't work out for you, don't forget what I said about the .655 Ventilator choke. 

You should be looking at around 300 shot in a 10" at 40yds with the right choke.  Maybe more or maybe a little less, but 300 should be obtainable if you do your homework and experiment with chokes.  Make sure to draw you 10" and 20" circles after the shot.  Pick the densest part of the pattern.  I have 10" glass cut outs that makes this so much easier and I can see through them so I know I'm getting the densest part of the pattern in the 10. 

gophert

Quote from: taylorjones20 on March 25, 2013, 11:32:13 AM

Get that barrel mirror clean and dry and you will probably like what you see. 

gophert

Quote from: Bad Grizzly on March 26, 2013, 12:55:19 PM
My 870sm with 26" barrel didn't like the JH .660 with Hevi #6's or the JH .665 with MagBlands...... got my best performance with IC .665 and MB's.

If my 870 didn't like the JellyHead, the Indian Creek .665 would be my next choice.  Bad Grizz speaks truth!

joshua

I shoot a Kicks GT .655 in my 870 SM with the Win. ER 3.5" 6s and average around 200 in the 10 @ 40. I shoot a IC BDS .665 in my 1187 with Hevi 6s and Blends and have great patterns. Neither gun likes the others choke very much tho. My 870 doesn't like Hevi 3.5 at all. Just goes to show how finicky 2 barrels that are almost identical can be.
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

taylorjones20

Thanks to everyone who commented and suggested ideas.  I cleaned the barrel (deep clean) - Have not yet ordered everything to polish the barrel.  Anyway, I shot today with the Hevi 7's and was extremely happy with the results.  I got 344 hits in the 10 at 40 yards!!

What a huge difference the deep clean and the #7's have made!

I am now confident and ready for season to open in the morning!

Again, Thanks everyone!

FL-Boss

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: taylorjones20 on March 29, 2013, 11:19:33 PM
Thanks to everyone who commented and suggested ideas.  I cleaned the barrel (deep clean) - Have not yet ordered everything to polish the barrel.  Anyway, I shot today with the Hevi 7's and was extremely happy with the results.  I got 344 hits in the 10 at 40 yards!!

Again, Thanks everyone!

I sure would like to see that pattern. 

bawana

That's super! I've got an older version of what you're shooting (2003). I use a Truelok .650 PH choke, I get 180-200 with the Hevi #7 and 140-150 with Fed HW #7.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: taylorjones20 on March 29, 2013, 11:19:33 PM

Again, Thanks everyone!

Go get 'em!

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Philippe

340+ in the 10 at 40? We want some pix of that pattern!

taylorjones20

Here you go guys.  I recounted without counting the rips where multiple shot went through and came up with 336.  Sorry for being off on 8 with the first count.  My POI is off on this shot but I think it was my reaction to the kick because it was on all the other times I shot it...

Thanks again for everything!

ILIKEHEVI-13

FttFttVroom!

Man you could dang near take ones head off with that pattern at 40 yds!!! :newmascot:

chatterbox