OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Wood lathe question

Started by Fatbeard, March 18, 2013, 10:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fatbeard

Guys I would love to have some advise from all you call makers! I am considering getting a lathe to turn some calls. They will never be sold. They will be made for our JAKES event. I would need to make around 100 plus a year to accommodate the kids. I have never turned wood or anything! My question is what is a dependable lathe? Where do you get slate? Would it be worth the investment? Something I am thinking about pretty hard. I am going to try and use one before I buy to see how hard it is.
East TN Beard Buster

Lonehowl

What kind of calls? Sometimes there is a steep learning curve, but then again some guys learn fast and take right to it. A lathe is just the start.....turning tools, chucks, turning materials etc eat up a lot of dough.
You might be better off buying kits and assembling them. Ive seen premade pot call and box all kits out there.

Not trying to discourage ya , just being realistic.
Mark

Steve

I was thinking the same thing as Mark...I don't even put out 100 turkey calls a year and I'm a callmaker. That is going to eat up a ton of your time...time that may be better spent teaching the kids the ins and outs of turkey hunting. I too would recommend going with a box or friction style kit and help them assemble them. You could likely get that quantity for the same amount you would pay for a decent lathe. And then there's that learning curve...good luck, and thanks for thinking of the kids and getting them involved.

Steve

Fatbeard

Thanks for the info. That is something to consider
East TN Beard Buster

neverstopchasin

spent my first time on a lathe 2day that was passed down from my wifes pa and its very time consuming but something everyone needs to experience. its the old style where you hold the knife and free hand it and very challenging to say the least

Cut*N*Run

The kits are a great idea. Check out the pre-cut pots at brookside (http://brooksidegamecalls.com/clickherefor35325and3pots.aspx). They'll sound good and each kid will really get a kick out of building their own call. If they each show up with sandpaper, goop, and a can of baked beans, they'll be good to go.

Steve

Better yet...check this company out. They've been trying to get me to buy their stuff for years. I guess they don't get that I make my own ::) They have some good prices and a good selection as well.

http://www.bwicallparts.com/index.php

Cut*N*Run

Quote from: Steve on March 20, 2013, 05:59:05 AM
Better yet...check this company out. They've been trying to get me to buy their stuff for years. I guess they don't get that I make my own ::) They have some good prices and a good selection as well.

http://www.bwicallparts.com/index.php

Good looking stuff. I'd never seen that site before.

C W

I agree with those above about buying and assembling the parts may be more rewarding, but to answer your question about lathes I use a JET MINI lathe 1014 with variable speed and it works great for making pot calls.
Curt

ttcustomcalls

I'd have to back everything above. I make and sell my calls and I just dropped around $800 over the past few months on supplies (i.e. wood, surfaces, soundboards, finish, and sandpaper). Granted most of these things are once a year stock replacements but it's still not cheap and I don't make 100 calls a year. Plus as said, you're start-up costs are a bit scary.

TJ

Steve

Yep start up costs are definitely something to consider. It's not cheap in the begiining...heck, it's still not cheap 7 years later, but much more manageable now.

As far as the kits from BWI Call parts. I can't vouch for the quality of the goods they sell since I've never used any of them. For some reason they keep sending me their catalogs and e-mails though. Try one or a couple of the items first and see if it's any good, then dump some money into it if they are good quality parts.

Steve