turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Chokes for Federal Heavyweight

Started by ahfox16, March 18, 2013, 09:21:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahfox16

What are folks using.  FYI, I shot my new Nova 20 on Saturday.  Weather was 34 degree's (cold).  I had my new IC in .555 screwed in.  With Nitro Ray's size 7 I averaged about 170 at 40 yards.  Not bad and I'll hunt with it.  However, I have 3 boxes of Federal Heavyweights inbound and want to give them a try.  I know the IC won't work with them because of the type wad used in the Heavyweight.    My choices are the factory full choke (whatever that is) and something new.  I have heard about the Carlson's extended non-ported at .575 and wonder if that is an option.  appreciate thougths.

gophert

That IC .555 will work very good with 20 ga Fed HW.  Keep in mind that the wad used in the 20 ga Fed HW's is softer than the 12 ga.  My gun shoots 168 in a 10" with the IC .555 and is a sho-nuff head smacker. 

I would give it a try before I bought a new choke.  I think you will like what you see.

Philippe

Im running the Hevi-shot approved remington super full in mine with the heavyweight shells and it is down right mean. I also shot a pure gold tempest for a bit and will be testing the new haymaker soon as well, both of those chokes areade for the federal shells with fcw.

sevetts

if your gonna shoot the federals id for sure go with a carlsons .575 nonported, best 20ga heavywieght choke ive tried. i dont have a remington superfull but im sure it would be a winner if you can get one...  ive got 3 20s (2 H and Rs and a winchester 1300) with INVECTOR threads and have an Indian creek .555, pure gold .570, and a carlson .575. NO DOUGHT the carlson shoots better in all 3 of them when shooting federals. For less than 30bucks its a great flite control wad choke in any gun. Id bet you wont be dissapointed.

ahfox16

Quote from: sevetts on March 18, 2013, 04:07:39 PM
if your gonna shoot the federals id for sure go with a carlsons .575 nonported, best 20ga heavywieght choke ive tried. i dont have a remington superfull but im sure it would be a winner if you can get one...  ive got 3 20s (2 H and Rs and a winchester 1300) with INVECTOR threads and have an Indian creek .555, pure gold .570, and a carlson .575. NO DOUGHT the carlson shoots better in all 3 of them when shooting federals. For less than 30bucks its a great flite control wad choke in any gun. Id bet you wont be dissapointed.

At that prize its worth a go.  Ordered one today.  With luck I'll be shooting it this weekend.  Got 3 5 packs of Federal Heavyweight inbound.