turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Heavyweight?

Started by Tom Dooley, March 17, 2013, 08:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Dooley

Does anyone know why Federal would only put 1 5/8 ounce shot on their 12ga 3" shell. This is only 1/8 ounce more than their 20ga shell. I think the 12ga Heavyweight #7 would to beat if they would put 2oz of shot in the 12ga 3" shell.

SKFOOTER

It would be tough to beat if Federal would replace the flight control wad with a regular wad. :blob10:

Tom Dooley

Quote from: SKFOOTER on March 17, 2013, 08:58:12 PM
It would be tough to beat if Federal would replace the flight control wad with a regular wad. :blob10:

I agree the flight control wad is a problem. Some people have found combo's that have worked with it. I have heard Sumtoy has a good 20ga choke. I ran a good pattern in the 20ga with the Undertaker choke. It just seems to me there is just not enough shot in the 12ga shell.

Philippe

Most likely due to the weight of the shot. I love the 20ga 3 inch 7's in my 870. With the hevi approved RSF it tosses down right mean patterns!

PALongspur

Quote from: Philippe on March 17, 2013, 09:10:49 PM
Most likely due to the weight of the shot.

:z-winnersmiley:

Why hasn't anyone else figured this out?

Philippe

I dunno but i sure would love it if they would make a 3-2-7 or 3.5-2 1/4-7 for the 12's but im sure there is a reason why they havent.

Rockhound

2 oz bulge the crimps on the 10 ga. Shells so getting the same amount in the 12 ga. 3" or even 12 ga. 3-1/2 would be virtually undoable

BandedSpur

The FCW is the entire problem. It is very thick and won't hold 2 oz of HW 7s. The cost would also go up a lot since HW 15 shot is very expensive. The FCW is particularly difficult in the 12 ga version. The plastic is very stiff (more so than the 20). Handloaders are loading 1&7/8 of the same shot with conventional HTL wads and putting up tremendous patterns, well over 200 with 3" shells. But Fed is heavily invested in the FCW and will not admit it was a mistake. All one has to do is compare the Old Fed lead loads without the FCW or the new Turkey Thug lead ammo with a conventional wad to see how much better a conventional wad really is. An argument can be made that the FCW works better in a fixed choke turkey gun (mod or full) than a shell with a conventional wad. But with a good aftermarket choke, the FCW shells can't compare.

BTW I consider the 20 ga Fed HW 7s to be the best factory load available, due to its payload and shot density. However, the same can't be said for the 12 ga ammo. They just give up too much pattern to H13 6s or 7s.

archdriver

I dont  like the  flite control  either...   seems  to  shoot  pretty  well for  me out of  my  20 ga using  factory  full (580)   from my  12  , however, I  see  that  it keeps  a tight  pattern but
the  center of the  pattern seems to migrate around in a  random way.  In  other  words,
I  get a  hot  center  but it is  never centered at  my  aim  point.  maybe  half a  pattern off in random direction.      I  think the flite control wad stays  with the shot but  is  not  aerodynamic
and  tilts slightly up and  down and /or  side to side,  giving a splayed pattern.
ArchDriver

TauntoHawk

If they took that FCW out and made them in 3 -1 7/8 -7 they would they would sell clean out of them.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

archdriver

Quote from: TauntoHawk on March 18, 2013, 11:24:10 AM
If they took that FCW out and made them in 3 -1 7/8 -7 they would they would sell clean out of them.

i  agree,,,,  that  would  be   the perfect  turkey load.
ArchDriver

Lucky Clucker

I got a 12 ga. 3.5 New England single shot,I shoot the 3 and 3.5 Hw FCW,the gun is a fixed fullchoke,Also have shot the lead 5's,and 00buckshot,it loves the FCW,it patterns with around 115 to 130 in a 10 in. at 40yd,with the 7's,the lead 5's around 88 to 97,and 9 to 12 pellets with the 00buck.I'm sure some out ther don't like em,but for fixed choke ther is not a better load for my gun My Win. SX-2,like them out of my undertaker .665 choke,but they were the lead 5's. Gonna try the new Turkeythug ammo just to see what all the fuss is about.
Hunt every day as if it were your last.