turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Need help with my SP10

Started by M R Ducks, March 17, 2013, 07:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M R Ducks

Guys, I was patterning my gun today and noticed it was sluggish pushing the bolt all the way forward.  I took it apart, and notice that my slide extension assembly does not slide into the recevier without my having to press down on the tangs to get them to go!  it doesn't seem bent, but I don't remember ever having trouble like this.  Any suggestions?

Ducks

Old Gobbler

Not sure if this is the part but here goes! Let me know and ill take more
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

M R Ducks

Shannon helped me out, and with a little tug here and polishing there i was able to get the SP running again. 

Guys, make sure you have a slide extension recoil buffer in your guns.  Mine came out, I guess during a cleaning, and it didn't take much to get things out of whack, and this is not an easy to find part.  Brownells says they can back order it, so I ordered one.  Worst case I will have a spare.

Ducks

M R Ducks

Shannon,

Here are some pictures.  In the top view you can see where I started working the slide, and you can see on the edges of the swale where the barrel it still interfering a little.  I continued to polish with some oil and 220 paper and shined/smoothed it to where it now works properly.  The side profile shows the little bit I had to ben the tangs.

The pattern picture are at 25 yards, first with Federal High Velocity #5's out of a Jellyhead .690.  The second is with the Nitro Megaweights at the same range.   

Old Gobbler

your prongs are bent , not sure if it is your camera lens distorting it but it sure looks tweaked -

3.487 inch   rise by holding the prongs {up and pushing down }on a flat surface and measuring with a dial caliper

-Shannon

M R Ducks

Shannon, yes, I had to bend them a little to get them to align with the receiver holes. 

All you SP10 shooters, look at how just a few rounds without the slide extension recoil buffer caused my slide to bulge just ahead of the welded tang as compared to Shannon's slide.  That caused the rear to rise just a little, jamming the gun upon recoil.  Without the buffer, the extension slams into the hard steel of the receiver.

This part is nowhere to be found, buy a bunch of extra buffers now while you still can so this does not happen to yours.  Fortunately, the extension is not hardened and brittle, or my gun would be out of commission for good. A little tug on the prongs and some light metal removal has it running like new.

Ducks

Full_Fan

Maybe a silly question but can you show a photo of the "slide extension recoil buffer" part?

Is that the black tube piece in all of your photos with the prongs?

M R Ducks

FF, the piece in the photos is the slide extension assembly.  The buffer is a $4 little o-ring that fits inside of it, all the way in the top.  It prevents the rear of the slide assembly from slamming into the face of the receiver on recoil.  I don't have a picture handy, but look on Brownells web site at the shematic of the SP10 .  It is part number 60.

Ducks

jerf

just orderd 2 of those from remington after seeing this post, also got an extra bolt buffer for just in case.

frank1969

that's y I got 4 of them and spare parts

Full_Fan

Thanks Ducks.  I have never even really noticed the buffer before.  Did you ever figure out how you lost yours?  I'll be sure to double check it's still there when I clean from now on.  Posts like this get me nervous... I'm no expert on the mechanics of the SP10 and who knows how long they will still have parts like this available...?

Old Gobbler

My tube has a very slight bump in it , but nothing like the first example  _ I will be looking into getting a Wolf Spring Kit for my sp10 soon 

now , on a side note - I have a friend in the Titanium business , I want to see about making a Titanium Gas assembly that goes on the barrel to replace the heavy stainless steel one , or possibly anodised aluminum  - that would probably take a whole bunch of weight of the end of the barrel off

-Shannon

M R Ducks

OG,  can you get a quote from him on copying your slide extension assembly???

Ducks

ElkTurkMan

Midway USA has the slide extention recoil buffers in stock in case anyone wants to order one.  After reading this I went ahead and picked one up.

Old Gobbler

I don't think I will be able to get the slide extension fabricated due to its complicated construction , but I will ask anyways

-Shannon