OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

870 pattern results

Started by jordanz7935, March 17, 2013, 05:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jordanz7935

So i got my scope base screw issue fixed and i finally made it to the range today.I just installed the patriot sear spring last night and i can definately tell the difference. To anyone shootin an 870 i would definately recomend this $15 part. Not really a good day to pattern it was 32 degress with 15 mph winds.Had to get out there and see what it would do.Instead of the swift scope i put on a tru glo red dot that i had lyin around. I didnt really like the added weight of the scope and rings on my lightweight turkey rig.It took me about 5 shots to sight in with skeet loads so the patterns im posting were shot from a dirty barrel.Here are my results all shot with a 21'' 870 20 ga with the .572 rsf choke @ 40 yds
3" Federal Heavyweight #7s= 130 Hits in the 10 ring
3" Remington Hevi Shot 1&1/8oz #6s @1300 fps= 82 in the 10 ring
3" Remington Nitro Turkey #5s = 49 in the 10 ring
Im definately pleased with the results of the Fed heavyweights. No need for a different choke tube with these loads. The heavyweight i shot was the 3v lot number from last years box.Ive got one of them left with a longbeards name on it.Ive got another box of the 3u lot # i havent tried yet.As for the Remington Hevi Shot, im pleased. Only 82 in the 10 but that is in 32 degree weather thru a dirty barrel.Even with only 82 hits i wouldnt hesitate to pull the trigger on a gobbler standing @ 40yds with hevi shot 6s @1300 fps.I personally think theyd do better with a tighter choke.For the Rem Nitro turkey, i just patterned them to show people the advantage of using htl turkey loads.Overall im happy with the results.i know ill get better patterns IF i get to polishing my barrel but i dont see the need to spend $45 on the polishing supplies if im getting 130 hits in the 10 ring with the fed hws. How many more hits in the 10 do you guys think ill get if i do polish my barrel?Also im trying like hell to attach my pattern photos.It wont let me because my pics file size is too big,2.2 mbs per pic.Anyone know how to make the file size on the pics smaller so i can post pics? I definately need to figure it out before season so i can post photos for the team contest

Philippe

How big of a difference did that sear spring make?

jordanz7935

Well its definately a noticeable difference.Id say it feels like a 3 pound pull whereas before it was more like 5 pounds. Very easy installation. It should help to tighten up my groups with slugs this fall too. Now theres a noticeable differnce when compared to my mossy 935s trigger.

dogwood

Put a Patriot on my 870 last week. :icon_thumright: