OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Two lumber questions for you ...

Started by TarheelTurk, March 17, 2013, 02:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TarheelTurk

First sorry I been looking and commenting jus hasn't posted here in a while ... My first question is has anyone had any experience using Cypress for pot calls ? Is it soft like cedar or harder type wood ?

A local guy w/ a saw mill has some ( rough cut ) he is asking $2and some change per board ft. , I don't understand "board foot" so any help is greatly appreciated Thanks ...Jason
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

Onpoint

Cypress is very hard. I climb and trim trees for a living and cypress is so hard that I can't even hardly get my spikes to dig into it.

RickC

I've seen a formula somewhere thats used to figure board feet prices. I'll check a couple sites I would have come across it at and post it here.
Blessings,
Rick

RickC

Found it, I hope.
The one I found im my notes is (T x W x L) รท 12 x price
Blessings,
Rick

justturnin

A board foot is 12"x12"x1" = 144cuin

So a pot call being 4x4x1=16cuin.  Take the 16/144 = .111board feet. So you can get, in theory, 9 pot call blanks out of 1 board foot.
Chris B
Klein, TX
Home of the Yin-Yang Custom Cast Call.  PM me for details

BOB_HARWELL

2" X 8" X 8',,, 2X8 = 16 X 96 = 1536 divided by 144 = 10.6 board feet.

Bob

TarheelTurk

Ok I see now , THANK y'all a bunch, the gentleman quickly tried explaining it on the phone but I couldn't completely get what he was saying, but seeing it written out makes sense, a thanks for letting me know that cypress is that hard , may still try a few to see what it sounds like Thanks again, Jason
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

Redfish71

Cypress is not a very hard wood, it ranks 570 on the janka scale it is a similar to poplar in hardness. It does make a decent pot call, very easy to turn and it is a nice looking wood. You are going to be looking at 4/4 wood from a sawmill which is 1" thick they break it down in 1/4" increments. I don't know where you are in nc but I have been buying mine for $1.35 a bf ( board ft).

Dave

lightsoutcalls

I have a cypress box call made by a guy by the name of Chad Griep about 7-8 years ago.  It is a great sounding call.  I've never tried to use climbing spikes on one, but the box call I have seems to be pretty lightweight (soft). 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

whitemarlin

cypress is a soft wood the janka chart shows it at 570 and cedar is 900. check out this link to see the janka chart. http://tinytimbers.com/janka.htm 
hope that helps

Onpoint

I don't understand why it's so hard to spike into.. I had to climb and trim a big cypress Thursday and this thing was hard as a brick... I ended up throwin my rope around a limb above me and pullin myself up with it.. I done a couple oaks that same day and has no problem spiking into them.

TarheelTurk

Thanks wendell and everyone and Thanks for the chart , I had seen it before on here and couldn't remember what the name was or where I seen it, I'm in central NC so I'm assuming that's why it's a lil higher here. I'm prolly gonna def try it in a call if I see a decent looking piece, and yeah he did say his stuff was rough cut lumber. I had been out to his place and looked at exactly what he has there yet though.

TarheelTurk

My girlfriends dad does tree work also but as far as I'm aware cypress isn't native to my area here in the central part of nc /va border man.