OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Spring Forecast In SC looks good.... how is your state looking?

Started by CallDr, March 17, 2013, 12:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CallDr

It was not a warm winter this year and we had the mid March Blast around the 15th. The dogwoods are "on time" and it seems like there will be a good long season. Some reports were little to no gobbling on opening day. This is actually a good sign from my past years. If we continue to get this warm weather it will heat up in a week and by April 1 it should be rockin pretty good.

What is it like in your area or State? 

www.wildtalker.com

Matt81302

I rode up the mountain to one of my honey holes on some WMA land in Oconee county SC this morning and the turkeys were hammering on the roost. I couldn't tell exactly how many there were, because as soon as one would gobble the entire woods was filled with gobbles everywhere. I also heard a couple gobbble on my lease later in the morning. It is starting to get right around my neck of the woods. Just a few more weeks to go.

pseshooter300

Tater
Thunder Chicken Mafia
This Ain't Hollywood

joshua

Quote from: pseshooter300 on March 17, 2013, 07:36:33 PM
When does South Carolina open
3/15 lowerstate and 4/1 upperstate. Went and listened this morning in the upstate and the birds were hammering on the limb and the ground. The trees up here are starting to show signs of spring. This may turn out to be a season for the ages in SC.
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

M,Yingling

Still cold here in my part pa calling for 6 in snow tonight ,, Thats a good thing last year all the march warm weather we had by time our season came ( end april) in it was all greened up
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Spring_Woods

Still pretty chilly around here in Ohio. I'm not complaining. I will cross my fingers and toes it stays like this up until the opener.
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

870BkWht

Like the PA and Ohio guys, here in WV atleast the north central part, its still cold for the most part.  Also calling for up to 6'' tonight.  Im not complaining as Id much rather get this cold out of the system then actually have a spring.  Last year on the WV opener it snowed about 4 inches and I hate turkey hunting in the snow, especially in the spring.  I havent been out to listen for birds, but I have seen several birds to and from work still flocked up and to me, this is a good thing since our season doesnt open until April 22.

Improvinghunter101

This year seems to be a lot better than last year.  Last year things were turning green this time of year.  Pretty sure things started way early last year with the extremely warm winter.  Still chilly and it looks to stay this way for a bit.  I'm looking forward to seeing how it shapes up closer to the opener.

FL-Boss

Great weather so far.. real cool March so far in North Fla. Birds raising hell on the roost until they have assembled the group around 30 min after.  Here is a quick clip from opening morning last Sat.. seems he gobbled over 30 times before flying down https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmKvHCQr-QA

noggin buster

Call Dr. Where are y located in SC?  Im in Georgetown County.

CallDr

Quote from: noggin buster on March 18, 2013, 06:31:31 PM

I am hunting the Low Country around FairFax SC. The birds are not gobbling good yet. Very spotty.

www.wildtalker.com

Uncle Tom

Out today in central N.C.----not yet, cold weather got them slowed down a bit, which is good. We got till April 13 to opener.

savduck

Quote from: CallDr on March 19, 2013, 01:39:33 AM
Quote from: noggin buster on March 18, 2013, 06:31:31 PM

I am hunting the Low Country around FairFax SC. The birds are not gobbling good yet. Very spotty.

I chased birds around Bamberg, Springfield, and Rowesville. The birds just got henned up early this week. The hens aren't ready to breed though. The dominant gobblers are sticking with them strutting the whole time. The satellite gobblers are running scared when they hear hen talk and start running for the hills. The timing ought to be great for the upstate opener.

We worked birds all day Saturday and Sunday and saw the same behavior each time we got on a bird.
Georgia Boy