OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Remington 870 20 Gauge pattern question

Started by TBab, March 17, 2013, 01:37:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TBab

I'm trying to get my fiance into turkey hunting this spring she cant handle to recoil from a 12 gauge on her small frame. I patterned my old 870 with Winchester Double X 3'' #5's and was getting a consistent 58-69 pellet count in a 10in circle at 30 yards with a primos tight wad .570. I've not fooled with a 20 gauge as far as patterning goes and was wondering if that kind of pellet count was tight enough or maybe too loose at that range? Also what would a better shell/choke combination could maybe tighten that patter a bit to make it a 40 yard gun?

:thanks: TBob
Where Lead Meets The Head
Should've had more sense than to try an call a turkey through a barbed wire fence

Arra

Quote from: TBab on March 17, 2013, 01:37:29 AM
I'm trying to get my fiance into turkey hunting this spring she cant handle to recoil from a 12 gauge on her small frame. I patterned my old 870 with Winchester Double X 3'' #5's and was getting a consistent 58-69 pellet count in a 10in circle at 30 yards with a primos tight wad .570. I've not fooled with a 20 gauge as far as patterning goes and was wondering if that kind of pellet count was tight enough or maybe too loose at that range? Also what would a better shell/choke combination could maybe tighten that patter a bit to make it a 40 yard gun?

:thanks: TBob

Buy some federal heavyweight #7s and shoot it through the same choke. You will get much better results.

Tom Foolery

I have some Fed 7's on the way to test but my 870 with a .570 Tighwad runs between 100-120 with H13 6's and 125-140 with H13 7's if you can't find the Federals.

gophert

First of all, with these 20 ga's you've got to ditch the lead shot.  You are really limiting yourself to a 25 yard gun IMO.  Go get Federal Heavywight #7's or HeviShot #7's and you will have a 40 yard gun.  At 40 yards you should be putting 100 holes in a 10" circle minimum. 

redowl

20 gauge remington nitro lead 5s  undertaker choke  38 yards +  =  87 pellets in 8 in by 11 in  square paper  27 pellets in head in neck  nuff said!

R AJ

20 means  ditching lead shot? Not if you aren't shooting anything but 40 yard shots .

Try 6s and or 7.5s and 30 yard shots with lead. They are picky guns I agree .

The 20 gauge HTL loads do reach out and make the 40 yard shot a doable thing .

TBab

I appreciate the information guys. I'm going to pick up a box of the Federal HW and the hevi-13's. I had thought about the mag blends from hevishot. Ive heard good things about the mag blends. If this 20 gauge starts to impress me i may try it on a big strutter this spring LOL
Where Lead Meets The Head
Should've had more sense than to try an call a turkey through a barbed wire fence

surehuntsalot

some people seem to think that you have to put 200 little holes in a piece of paper to be able to call it a hunting load
DITCH the lead if you want to hunt turkeys with a 20ga is what was basically being said.
lead will kill a turkey in a 20ga and it will do further than 25-30yds.
I took all 3 of my birds last season using Federal #6 1-1/4oz LEAD shells and they were further than 30yds when I shot
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

gophert

Quote from: surehuntsalot on March 18, 2013, 10:20:17 PM
some people seem to think that you have to put 200 little holes in a piece of paper to be able to call it a hunting load
DITCH the lead if you want to hunt turkeys with a 20ga is what was basically being said.
I took all 3 of my birds last season using Federal #6 1-1/4oz LEAD shells and they were further than 30yds when I shot

Steve,

I hope you know I am not saying you can't kill a bird at 40 yards with lead from my response above.  The OP ask what combo he should use for a 40 yard gun.  Yes he can kill one with lead shot all day at 40, but if he wants to up his chances at that distance, I think we would both agree that some type of HTL shot would increase his chances. To be honest, I have never killed at bird at 40 yards.  100% of every kill I have has been 30 yards and in, but I still do not shoot lead.  It's more of a preference than anything.  I totally respect you guys that hunt with lead, you just have to be better at estimating distances, which I am terrible at.  Thanks for your input.

Tim

R AJ

Quote from: gophert on March 19, 2013, 11:29:07 AM

Steve,

I hope you know I am not saying you can't kill a bird at 40 yards with lead from my response above.  The OP ask what combo he should use for a 40 yard gun.  Yes he can kill one with lead shot all day at 40, but if he wants to up his chances at that distance, I think we would both agree that some type of HTL shot would increase his chances. To be honest, I have never killed at bird at 40 yards.  100% of every kill I have has been 30 yards and in, but I still do not shoot lead.  It's more of a preference than anything.  I totally respect you guys that hunt with lead, you just have to be better at estimating distances, which I am terrible at.  Thanks for your input.

Tim

Really good reply Tim and well taken. Even in my reply I was thinking about limiting the lady to a 30 yard shot. There are several combos of chokes that certainly stretch the limits of 20 gauges beyond 30 yards as I stated.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: gophert on March 19, 2013, 11:29:07 AM

Steve,

Tim

:icon_thumright:   I totally agree with you
it's not the harvest,it's the chase