turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How to Put in a glass sound board?

Started by Duckhawk, March 06, 2011, 04:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duckhawk

How do you do it? And make it look good? I can see using a slate or wood board you would never see it!

RaspyD

Perfection Turkey Calls

Cut*N*Run

Prob only a "concern" with a glass playing surface too- especially a clear one. Some guys like the look of the glass soundboard with the glass playing surface so that you can see everything- goop, pedestal, and all- clearly. Other guys put a sticker on the soundboard with a logo of their calls on it. Others paint the soundboard with spray paint.

I'm a painter.

Austy

If you are asking how do you control the soundboard while putting it in place in the pot???  If you are, I use a small suction cup that I attach to the soundboard that has a raised section that you can hold onto.  This way you can control and center the soundboard and take your time putting it in place so that your goop isn' all over the bottom of the sound board if your using glass once its in place.  Once its in place they usually have a small tab on one side that you can pull up to release the suction cup from the soundboard.  Makes for a nice clean looking finish if you take your time.  I would think that you should be able to pick them up at just about any hardware store fairly cheap, maybe a buck for a package of 3 or 4.  Hope this helps!!

Gobblerstopper

I carefully hold the soundboard centered over the pedestal and get it about a 1/4" away.  Then I drop it on there.  Sometimes it doesn't land perfectly centered and I move it.  I've made it a pretty complicated process.  You will find there are more important aspects of a turkey call than what the pedestal looks like glued in.  Turkeys really don't care if it's got some glue around the edge or not.  ;)

Austy

I have to agree with you grasshopper, the turkeys could care less what the call looks like, How it sounds is what they care about!!

handcannon

I take a small piece of duct tape and make a roll out of it. Stick it to the center of the glass then lower it into the call onto the soundboard. Helps to get it right where you want it without smearing the goop around. After it dries I try to remove any excess goop with a set of dental pics I have. I dont like the looks of a bunch of glue haning out. If I paint the soundboard, it's not as important.

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: Gobblerstopper on March 10, 2011, 11:07:05 AM
I carefully hold the soundboard centered over the pedestal and get it about a 1/4" away.  Then I drop it on there.  Sometimes it doesn't land perfectly centered and I move it.  I've made it a pretty complicated process.  You will find there are more important aspects of a turkey call than what the pedestal looks like glued in.  Turkeys really don't care if it's got some glue around the edge or not.  ;)

My thoughts exactly!  This is how I put my glass in as well.  I generally rotate the glass about 1/4 turn each direction once pushed down onto the pedestal to smooth the glue as best I can.  In glass calls, I generally spray paint the soundboard, which eliminates the issue of seeing the glue anyway. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!