turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

870 20ga question

Started by imtalkinturkey, March 15, 2013, 10:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtalkinturkey

I love this little gun but not sure what I am doing wrong. The set up I have now is the 870 20ga youth model it has a jelly head choke .570 and I am shooting federal #5 1 1\4 oz. I get a really good pattern at 20 yards and then at thirty I think I will kill a turkey but it really fades. What do you guys suggest with out getting away from led I just dont have the cash for the heavy shot at the moment..... :help:

CntrlPA

I would start with some #6 lead. Do you have access to any different chokes?

imtalkinturkey

No other chokes to choose from and I haven't been able to find any #6's around here I may have to order some. What size choke would you start with? This one is a .570.....

walk20

i have the exact gun in synthetic if u can get a SSX choke and Federal HW #7's it should work perfectly for you

gophert

To be honest I have shot about every choke combo out of my 870 youth model with the 21" barrel.  The jellyhead just didn't perform as well as others.  However, as long as you shoot lead, you will be limited to 30 yards regardless of what choke you have.  Depending on what you plan to shoot, there are three chokes I would consider.  The 21" barrel needs a little tighter choke due to its length. 

Indian Creek .555
Truglo SSX .550
Sumtoy (you would need to call them to get the exact one)

All of these shoot Hevi shot and Federal HW shells very well. Good Luck!

imtalkinturkey

Thanks for all of the information guys. I am gonna do my best to get a tighter choke. From what I had read I had really expected the jelly head to do alot better. I guess I am just gonna have to count on my calling to get closer this year but you know while I was sighting in I got to thinking 30 yards is a pretty good shot in the woods through all of the trees and stuff.

imtalkinturkey

Does anyone know if the truglo choke tube has been discontinued I can not seem to find one on line?

imtalkinturkey

Thanks I was having a hard time locating one! :camohat:

surehuntsalot

Quote from: imtalkinturkey on March 16, 2013, 09:44:31 AM
Thanks I was having a hard time locating one! :camohat:

they also make a truglo GSX.565 choke for the 20ga
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Arra

Buy a $20 box of federal heavyweight 7s and have at it!