Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

A good starting point for people searching for good Turkey Loads / Patterns

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, March 13, 2013, 07:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3" 870 Shell Shucker

HTL #7 Loads will out-pattern everything else.

HTL #6 Loads and HTL Blended Loads can run pretty close.  If you are hesitant to use HTL #7 Loads, try the #6's and the Blends and see which one works best in your guns & chokes.

If you want to go the Cheaper route, there are 2 primary contenders where Lead loads are concerned.  Winchester Supreme loads in #5's and #6's (HV or not), and Federal Turkey Thug loads in #5's and #6's.

I think this is a good starting point for all of the "Which Load" questions.

ILIKEHEVI-13

I'll add if you are hesitant to shoot Hevi-13 #7's in your gun, don't be.  It will kill just as good as anything else your going to send down your barrel that is commercially produced.  You got it right that it will pattern better than anything else.  I have yes to see it not pattern better than Hevi-13 #6.  I myself don't see the need for MagBlends.  But if a person thinks it's gonna make their gun shoot better than the 7's then more power to you.  But all your doing is sending fewer pellets downrange with less hits and more holes in your pattern vs the 7's that will still blow plum through a turkey head and neck at 40yds on 90% or more of the shot that hits this part on a turkey. 

alclark2

#1 Fed Turkey Thug is my new #1 lead 6 shot 3.5" (stll trying all the federal turkey thug ammo out)
#2 is Winchester copperplated 3" 5 shot 1 7/8 oz load
#3 Then the Sups

This is what I've experienced with lead this year. 835 IC BDS .675
Hoosier Hunt n Fish