turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best choke for 870 20 ga for a youth compact with 18.5 barrel

Started by arrowslanger, March 09, 2013, 09:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arrowslanger

Requesting information on the best choke for 870 20 ga with 18.5 barrel, also what load shoots best.  My 7 yr. old wants to hunt turkeys with his dad......maybe he is my child...lol.....thanks in adavance for info

gophert

Well it really depends on what you plan to shoot.  Since the barrel is so short I would start with a tighter choke. Perhaps the truglo SSX .550 or the Indian Creek .555 and work my way up from there if those don't get the results you want.

arrowslanger

thanks gophert, I want to have a 40 yard gun just in case its needed.

gophert

You will have no problem at 40 with Hevi 7's and any of the two mentioned.  Polish your barrel and it will be a sho-nuff shooter. 

arrowslanger

I have just realized that I cannot locate 20 ga Hevi shot in #7, but im going to go ahead and order one the chokes you told me about.

arrowslanger

Thanks gophert......that's why I like this site....yall are all very helpful.....

arrowslanger

SSX .550 has been ordered.  I will let yall know how it shoots when it gets here..

01Foreman400

Interested to see how this gun does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

ozarkhooks

I have a cheap primos tightwad ckoke in my 870 21" 20 guage I shoot3" 1 5 /16 oz. Federal 5 shot lead with flight control wad. It is a 40 yard turkey gun all day long. It is ported and federal says the ports reduce performance with the flight control wad, But all my testing and this is the combo it likes. Go figure!

arrowslanger

I hope it turns out good numbers.  I will let yall know as soon as I can test it.  Hope its ready in time for Nebraska hunt....lol...I'm gonna test it out for my son first...lol

remmy1187

Those hevi shot loads are gonna kick quite a bit, especially for a 7 year old.  Be careful what he shoots recoil wise, you certainly dont want to scare him away if it hurts when he shoots.  Trust me what we think doesnt kick bad for us down right hurts for for them.

gophert

Here is the perfect shell for a young kid.  My daughter killed her first turkey at age 10 with this load.  With the SSX .550 it will bust one out to 30 yards.  It has low recoil and is still a beak buster. 

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/451522/federal-premium-mag-shok-turkey-ammunition-20-gauge-2-3-4-1-1-8-oz-7-heavyweight-shot-box-of-5

arrowslanger

Thanks guys, I will try the light shells for my son.   I'm gonna shoot the HEVI 13's #7's when I borrow his 20 ga....lol.....still waiting on gun and choke to arrive.   It should be here any day.   Alabama season starts 3/15/13......less than 10 hours away till the best time of the year.    :z-guntootsmiley: :fud: