turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mississippi Reports?

Started by Rio, March 08, 2013, 11:39:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirt road ninja

In Jefferson county I heard 4 birds on the 9th AM. 2 of them only gobbled once and the other 2 gobbled about 15 times apiece. They were roosted with about 30 hens. PM on the 9th I saw 1 gobbler with hens and he would not respond to calling. The only thing I did that made him look our way was gobbling at him. I did hear one other bird gobble twice that afternoon only after I gobbled. Sunday I heard nothing in a different area. IMO they will fire up this week without any fronts pushing through. It's ashame we didn't get this weather for deer season, my woods are wide open now.

honker22

I heard a single bird in Yazoo Co Sunday am. He gobbled 4 times responding to my hoots. That was all. I hope he gobbles to my gun barrel Friday morning.
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

Mr.MQ1

I dont think its time yet.  We had an early spring last year and everyone was seeing and hearing birds early.  Not the case this year.  Im going to listen in the morning in a spot that Ive been seeing birds.  This coming week is gonna be warmer and that should help the gobbling. 
"The wild turkey possesses a remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness"

10ga.Trauma

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it true that bird numbers are way down in your state?

FullChoke

You are wrong, our flock is doing very well. I believe you are referring to Arkansas. Their bird population has dropped to very low numbers to the point that the Game commission has closed the season in some zones, cut some zones to 9 days and some to 16 days.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

dirt road ninja

Quote from: 10ga.Trauma on March 12, 2013, 07:23:39 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it true that bird numbers are way down in your state?

Not in Jefferson and Adams county. I think the state overall has a thriving population, minus a few pockets.

honker22

Quote from: 10ga.Trauma on March 12, 2013, 07:23:39 AM

I'm not sure about statewide numbers but locally they are lower where I am. Still a huntable population, it's just not the good ole days. I think overall state numbers are holding steady.
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

10ga.Trauma

any idea why bird numbers are down??

Ryan T

In 2012 Mississippi had it's best hatch in a decade.  All the normal contributing factors apply to low turkey numbers.  No tagging system, over-worked and under-paid LEOs, wet spring, nest predators, most importantly the rise in turkey hunters.

northms

MS has had a great 2 years for turkey hatches. That according to a buddy in the MDWFP. Should be lots of dumb 2 year olds running around this year. Numbers are good.

hwy419

Quote from: daddylongspurs on March 11, 2013, 05:27:15 PM
you should probably stay in texas, LOTS more birds there. lots more corn too.  you should probably put you a pop up right next to a feeder........ get you a black metallica shirt and play angry birds till one shows up........

:TrainWreck1:

This is priceless...  :TooFunny:

Gobblehead30

Got a slow report from my buddy in North MS.   Not one gobble.  Did see one group of gobs by themselves.   It was a real chilly morning though.  I hope they get fired up with this warm front.. :gobble:

Rio

Quote from: hwy419 on March 13, 2013, 10:34:19 AM
Quote from: daddylongspurs on March 11, 2013, 05:27:15 PM
you should probably stay in texas, LOTS more birds there. lots more corn too.  you should probably put you a pop up right next to a feeder........ get you a black metallica shirt and play angry birds till one shows up........

:TrainWreck1:

This is priceless...  :TooFunny:

What this jackwagon won't tell ya is he scared off my best shot at a MS bird last year. Sent him running over the ridge the first time he called. Lol

Rio

Sorry meant to quote daddylongspurs....

HWY419 did NOT run off any birds for me last year.

hwy419

Quote from: Rio on March 13, 2013, 05:08:31 PM
Sorry meant to quote daddylongspurs....

HWY419 did NOT run off any birds for me last year.

That ain't nothin'. I can send a bird over the next two ridges... I am terrible. But, that will change once I get the hang of it...   ;D