turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mississippi Reports?

Started by Rio, March 08, 2013, 11:39:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rio

Heading to chase some of them swamp chickens in a couple weeks. Gonna be a little north of Jackson. Anybody hearing any gobbling or seeing signs that they're getting itchy?
Thanks!

runngun

This just in----- All the turkeys in Mississippi have fled EAST and were last seen crossing the stateline into ALA-FREAKIN-BAMA!!! But I think they are headed to Georgia!!! 
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

northms

Couldn't tell you about gobbling because I haven't been out to listen, but I know in the northern part where I hunt out toms are still grouped together.  I expect that to change in the next 7-10 days though as usual.

Should be gobbling more in the central part where you will be hunting.  :gobble:

trippsims

Went and listened yesterday, nothing. Took my little brother for youth hunt today, nothing. Although, we did call up a few hens to about five yards and he got hear clucking and purring for the first time, pretty cool. I'd expect to see them get on their gobble in the next 2-3, granted the weather is warm.

vicksburg

Took my 8 yr old this morn in west central ms. Birds were vocal. Called up 4 jakes and a longbeard. Lok beard bugged out, but the jakes hung around too long and he killed his first turkey. It was a great morning for me. Almost had to fight back a tear.  8)
]

BBR12

Went to all my spots yesterday friday 3/8 and heard nada. I'm about an hour south of Jacksonl.

Rio

Thanks for the input, fellas. I'm SOOOO ready to settle the score with an Eastern. We're hunting in Holmes county, by the way. Hunted there last year in late April, and while there were plenty of birds around, to say the were SLICK would be an understatement! Lol. Had a couple Mexican standoffs with gobblers, but they got the best of me. Hoping to catch em a little earlier in the season this year....just hope it's not too early.

surehuntsalot

right know things seem to be running a little early
birds still grouped up and not saying anything down here.
I'm about 1 hour south of Jackson
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

daddylongspurs

They aint doing nuthing, and I think the only way you might actually kill one is out of a pop up blind............

northms

This week is supposed to be pretty warm after Monday.  Especially the weekend, with a slight change of rain Sunday up north.  I bet they start getting rowdy this week.   :funnyturkey:

fmf

Still pretty bunched up, but they were very vocal on the limb this weekend.  The gobblers that I saw were all putting on shows for the ladies

jyoung

It's been hit and miss gobbling activity in SW Mississippi, mostly miss.  They just have not got cranked up yet.  However, I agree with northms.  This will be the first week in a LONG time where we will have good weather all week and weekend and NO RAIN! So things should start picking up a bit this week.  It will be hard to beat last year's opener!
Jonathan Young

Rio

Quote from: daddylongspurs on March 11, 2013, 12:39:48 PM
They aint doing nuthing, and I think the only way you might actually kill one is out of a pop up blind............
Touché....ain't no way, no how.
That was a good one, though!

FullChoke

The woods still look like they are in winter phase with just a few bushes and trees starting to bud. Took my grandson to a great spot last weekend and heard nothing. Last year opening weekend, the dogwoods were already in full bloom. I would give the birds about 2 weeks to get cranking up good.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

daddylongspurs

you should probably stay in texas, LOTS more birds there. lots more corn too.  you should probably put you a pop up right next to a feeder........ get you a black metallica shirt and play angry birds till one shows up........

:TrainWreck1: