Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

what size binoculars do you carry while hunting?

Started by DirtNap647, March 08, 2013, 05:12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vaturkey

Vaturkey

TauntoHawk

8x42 Zen Ray Prime HDs those things are flat out awesome!
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

mnturkey

SEMPER FI

JamesG

lightsoutcalls

I carry a pair of compact Alpen 8x21 binoculars that my daughter was given on a turkey hunt a few years ago here in AR.  These things are amazingly clear and very compact.  I don't find myself needing anything larger on most hunts. 
I have a pair of 10x42 Bushnell H20 series that are very clear, but heavier than I like to carry all day.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

birdyhunter

10x23 steiner predators. Awesome tough little binos.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

GobbleNut

Leupold Wind River 10X50's,....Need higher power bino's for out here in the west...

Crappiepro

I got the Bushnell's 10x42, been a great bino for deer season so they should be good for turkey season too!

M R Ducks

Binos with glasses are hard to use so I don't.  Can't say I'ver ever said, "Wish I had a pair of binoculars."

I do carry a range finder with me, and it has 4X mag - but once I range stuff I put it away.

I only bow and bird hunt, so if I can't see it with naked eyes it pretty much doesn't matter.

Ducks

mebe007

7x36 Zen Ray ED2's. check out the demo's on their website. You can get them at a deep discount. lifetime warranty as well. life looks better through them than my own eyes lol

I wear glasses and eye relief is perfect with these binos

TN Beard Buster

10x42 alpens with a butler creek harness. on my chest, ready at a moments notice.

RIStrutStopper

Nikon Monarch 8x42. I don't usually carry them when turkey hunting though, probably a mistake.

WiLL B

Neill_Prater

10X42. I don't think you need extremely high quality binocs turkey hunting all that much, as it isn't like big game hunting out West where you guys spend lots of time glassing for game, but it sure is nice to be able to check out a bird at the other end of a field and see if what kind of beard he is sporting. I've never been able to see anything worth a flip with any of the compact glass I've looked through. I've never had the chance to use any real high end stuff, but have known guys with mid-priced compacts, and for me, they leave a lot to be desired.

cajunhunter

Optics can be tricky.  It really boils down to whether you want to see well early in the AM or at Dusk or even dark.  I don't think it is necessary for most to run power higher than 8.  I reserve 10x for at west hunting.  The bigger the exit pupil the more light will hit your pupil and the steadier they will be.  To get your exit pupil divide the objective by the power.  With descent light it is not nearly as important.  I love my 7x42 Zeiss Victory but they are way expensive.  I have a pair of 8x30 Leopold Yosemites that are light and great bino for the money.  I think you can get them for less than $100.  I may take them with me turkey hunting because they are light and good enough for what I will need turkey hunting.  Let me know if you need any more advice on this.  Those are pretty much 2 end of the spectrums.