OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Making a hunt special

Started by reflexl, March 07, 2013, 06:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reflexl

I am a gun collector and every deer season I try to work an old gun or a gun with sentimental value into the mix. It adds something to the hunt. This year it was a 1924 model Savage 99E in .303 Savage. Open sights at 89 yards. Right through the heart of fat doe. Yes it was special.

It hit me today that there is a model 12 in one of the safes that I haven't even seen in 3 or 4 years. It belonged to my best friend who sadly left us 8 years ago. He sent it home with me in hope that I would kill a turkey with it. I never did. While it sure won't go on opening day I feel impressed to carry it. He was in his 70s and thought that its 30" barrel would throw a good pattern. I never got a great 40 yard pattern from the gun but 30 is doable. I know some of you have used antique calls to add something to your hunt. I intend to do the same. reflexl

RutnNStrutn

That would be cool. Good luck!!

tomstopper

redarrow

Good luck. I hope to take a deer with Grandpas 30 30 this fall.

TN Beard Buster

we can talk over lunch that i owe you, but I am willing to go with you and call for you from a distance back to put that bird in your lap so you can make that happen! you just let me know when!

AUDoubleBeard

Good luck and make sure you post pictures up after! :anim_25:

reflexl

Tn Beard Buster-that sounds like a good ideal. The more I have thought about it the more excited I am. I hate that I missed lunch today. Not much better than talking turkey over a hamberger steak.

reflexl

redarrow-that would be cool. I have a Marlin 45-70 that belonged to my late uncle. I use it now and then. It certainly makes for special hunts.