OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

HELP! Fresh cutover. What do I do?!

Started by trippsims, March 07, 2013, 12:41:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trippsims

Okay guys here's the deal, I have some folks from Arkansas coming to hunt with me, they are filming, opening weekend. My 1600 acres is now drastically treeless over about 1000 acres of that. Please give me any help that y'all know of, of how to hunt fresh cutover.

The layout is this: Main spots that weren't cut are about 100 yards from the cutover (these are all my go to spots). These are hardwood ridge-top roads and one 20x30 yard field that is the best spot for turkeys on my place. All pines are cut, but everything that was neighboring land is left. I have all hardwoods left which consists of about 600 acres.

Anything will help, going to listen in the morning!

TRKYHTR

In newly cutover the turkeys usually walk the roads. It's easier for them to get around. If the cutover is cleaned out they can be anywhere but will start in your hardwoods to roost. The 20X30 yard field is where I would start. Especially if the turkeys can roost close and fly into that field from the roost and strut around first thing in the morning. Good luck and let us know what you find tomorrow.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Publicland

I'm a huge fan of a fresh cutover, it's just like a big field for a turkey!

appalachianstruttstopper

Quote from: Publicland on March 07, 2013, 09:08:11 AM
I'm a huge fan of a fresh cutover, it's just like a big field for a turkey!

X2 This could possibly be the best turkey hunting you have ever had on this property. Use the terrain to your advantage in the big clear cut areas to where the turkey comes in looking and can't see your location until he is in range if possible.

fmf

best thing to do is hunt the heck out of it

trippsims

Okay, just got back. I heard a couple birds, but it was really, really cold, and the loggers were still on the property, a lot of ruckus.

I went to another block of land I own, only to find that someone planted a deer field on it without my consent and cut trails through it. I wrote them a note saying "thanks for the feeder, owner of the property". But on the bright side there was a good bit a sign here and at my cutover spot.

Thanks for the help!