OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

"Henned" up Gobbler

Started by MiamiE, March 06, 2013, 03:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiamiE

What do you all do to get these gobblers away from that hen? Seems next to impossible. Experienced that for the first time today and its frustrating as heck! It wasn't all bad though. Got to watch a great show for about an hour and a half.

30_06

Lots of times I will wait in that area till 10,11,12 and that gobbler will be coming back in alone. He usually comes in silent.

Skeeterbait

No gobbler is henned up all day long.  Check back on him later in the day.

The only thing that has successfully called a gobbler away from hens for me has been a combination of fighting purrs, cutts and wing flaps.  Every once in a while one will leave the hens and come running to a fight.

People talk about challenging the dominant hen and getting her mad enough to come to you and the gobbler follow.  I haven't had success with that.  More times than not she leads the group away in my experience.   

J Hook Max

Good advice from Skeeterbait. One tip is that if the hens and gobbler roost some distance from each other, scare the hens from the roost, preferably in the evening. This has worked for me several times.

MiamiE

Situation was we were set up under a lone oak in the middle of a field. Scattered cabbage palms and myrtles. There were two hens about 100 yards to our right so we couldn't move on the gobbler. The gobbler was with a hen about 100 yards in front of us. Problem with moving towards him was there were 8 deer feeding right by him. They would've spooked for sure. Looking back I should've waited till about 11 and setup right by where he was strutting. Thanks for the advice.

GOOSESLAYER

Call to the hens they will bring him along

tomstopper

If you can move ahead of them do so. If not try that spot later when he will be alone. Most important is not to give up. When he gets lonely, you need to be there to capitalize on it. Good luck getting your bird.

coyotetrpr

Quote from: GOOSESLAYER on March 06, 2013, 08:06:13 PM
Call to the hens they will bring him along
I agree. I have had good success with calling agressively to the hens to challenge them. If they come then he will too. Good luck.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.