OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Winter wheat

Started by Cet803, March 06, 2013, 12:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cet803

Hey everybody just joined the board.im 28 ,live in sc and love to turkey hunt.i have a ? I have a field that i kill turkeys out of every year but It never had a crop in it till this year.its planted with wheat rite now it's bout six inches tall.after rabbit huntin a few days ago seen 5 birds in full strut in this field.my ? Is do you think these birds will stay in this field even if the wheat gets higher.thanks

redarrow

I would think so. The wheat with draw insects which will draw turkeys.

Duke0002

Quote from: redarrow on March 06, 2013, 01:33:19 PM

Yes, they'll be there.  Sometimes hens will nest in it. 

When the wheat grows high, birds will often walk along the edges of it -especially in the mornings when its wet with dew.  Use edge travel to your advantage.  If there are paths that lead from the woods/brush to the wheat field, set up so you can catch them walking along the field or the path.

Welcome to the forums and good luck this year!

mudhen

Winter wheat is one of my new favorite fields, no matter how tall the grass, they will walk though it if they want to, mostly in the dry afternoons, and certainly around it all day.

Afternoons draw hens looking for bugs, hens can draw toms, be careful though, the hens will poke their head up just enough to look around, and they usually see you before you see them...

I've noticed that they won't necessarily come busting right out into the clearing, but they often work in  close for a nice shot.  I like to set up so I can shoot at least 15-20 yards into the wheat, that way you have a decent shot even if they won't step out.

A red dot sight is handy here too...

It's fun to call and watch the tom try to fan in the grass!  He'll try, but it's not easy!

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

redleg06

I've killed quite a few out in the wheat but like someone else said, they seem to like it better later in the day once some of the dew is off of it.  They'll get right out in the middle of it.

Mike Honcho

Here in the Wheat State they will start skirting the edges once the wheat gets too tall for them to walk in. Kansas wheat is at mature height in mid to late May which is still in season for us.
Someone else posted that when it gets tall use that to your advantage and find them using travel routes around and on field edges....I agree.

They like to feed for insects in the wheat when it is younger and I see lots of toms strutting in wheat.

Good place to introduce Tom to his maker!

Cet803

Thanks for the info guys.march 30 is youth day.me and my 9 year old is going. He missed a big bird last year hope fully he will get the kill this year.

coyotetrpr

Quote from: Duke0002 on March 06, 2013, 01:41:33 PM
Quote from: redarrow on March 06, 2013, 01:33:19 PM

Yes, they'll be there.  Sometimes hens will nest in it. 

When the wheat grows high, birds will often walk along the edges of it -especially in the mornings when its wet with dew.  Use edge travel to your advantage.  If there are paths that lead from the woods/brush to the wheat field, set up so you can catch them walking along the field or the path.

Welcome to the forums and good luck this year!
Couldn't have said it better. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

They will not work through it to come to a call once it gets high.

I had winter wheat on my best piece last year. The winter was extremely mild and wheat was knee high by the Va opener.  Those birds would work the edges where it was open but wanted no parts of navigating through the wheat itself once it became that high.

2 weeks prior to the season they were strutting in it like crazy.

jarbo03

They will gladly cross winter wheat around here, wish I had more of it to hunt.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

agturkey

See if the landowner will let you mow a sweet spot to keep it shorter.  It will not kill it of affect it much as far as yield!  When the rest is 2-3 ft tall you could have a magic 1/4-1/2 acres spot!