OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rosebud Indian Reservation Turkey Guides Needed

Started by WiLL B, March 05, 2013, 10:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WiLL B

Can anybody recomend some good Indian Guides for our turkey hunt on Rosebud Indian Reservation this spring. It will be our first trip there. Thanks

Publicland

GSLAM95

I have not hunted Rose Bud since they started the requirement of a "Guide".  Plenty of birds there back when I hunted but the hand full of guys that I know that have went since the "Guide" requirement went into effect said it was ridiculous.
Very few of them turkey hunt, they just show you a spot and say have at it.  Just another way to get more money for them with the new requirement.  I would call several on the list they provide until I found one I was comfortable with before going.
When I hunted there you could hunt anything on the map that was not posted.  If it was posted you could still usually go up to the door and get permission.  Like I said, do your homework before going and you can still have a good hunt out there.  Good luck.....GSLAM95

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

lightsoutcalls

http://www.hesapa.org/lakota.html

Please read the information on the webpage above.  Although I can't point you to a guide, this information will give you a little insight into the people whose land you will be hunting on.

I really don't mean to be confrontational, but when I read the complaint about additional cost in relation to a guide (that previously wasn't charged), I have to admit that I got a little stirred inside.

The area where the Redbud reservation is located is the poorest area in the United States.  The unemployment and alcoholism rates are higher than any area in the United States.  The depression rates, child and domestic abuse rates and teen suicide rates are through the roof.  The people have been stripped of their culture and heritage for the most part.  The attrocities committed against them by the U.S. government continue to haunt the generations that have followed.  Yes, many there are dependent on government programs, but what kind of recompence is that for what has been done to them?  Given these facts, I could not fault them for trying to make an extra buck where they can.

Again, no personal offense in regards to the comments made.  I just wanted to provide a little information that might explain why they may seem to take advantage of being able to make some extra money.  Hopefully I haven't offended with this post.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Old Gobbler

I went and hunted South Dakota Black Hills and prairie areas two years ago and had a blast - I did hunt on a friends private property - If it were not for the cold winters I would pack up and move there , in fact I may one day try and get a small place to stay in the summer or something - love the place , the land is cheap by my standards , I would just like to have a small lot on a scenic area , and one day put a small cabin , time share it out to help pay it off - guys if you have never been to the Black Hills get up off your but and get there , if not to hunt just take the family for a visit

The Indian reservations -Rosebud - The locals informed me of the problems on the reservations , they got gangs , they got drugs , all the problems big cities have - there is a deep resentment between the Indians and the settlers to this day -

But anyways I am told the guide thing was a way for the tribe to provide job security or jobs for the Indians - for what they charge , it sounds pretty cheap to me , try and find a half decent one - someone should put a blog together for some of the tribe members that know what they are doing and cash in on the opportunity --Shannon
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

GSLAM95

Lightsoutcalls/Wendell,
Have you ever been to the reservation?  I have....You can only help those who want help and not hand outs!  When I was there the housing complexes were less than 5 years old and looked like a ghetto!  The windows were broke out and doors were ripped off the hinges with sheets hanging in both to take the place. 
There was piles and piles of trash everywhere.
I also hunted on a rancher that property bordering the reservation who granted me permission to hunt as long as I promised not to give any alcohol to the native ranch hands.  He explained how bad things got if they would drink.
There is a difference in making $ off of the assets they have and taking advantage of someone. 

I do not have a problem with charging a guide fee if they actually provided that service but I know guys who have gone out there and the guide not even show up!  The father or some other relative took them out to a spot where there were not any birds.  They then tried to get extra money out of them in order to take them somewhere else. 
It's hard to feel sorry for people who do these type things. 

I have hunted both Rosebud and Pine Ridge.  Never had to use a guide at either as I mentioned in my 1st post, it's simply a gimmick for money now.  They used to give you a boundary map and a simple rules sheet to hunt there and it worked flawlessly. 

GSLAM95

I have hunted the Black Hills as well Shannon and your right it is breathtakingly beautiful!  Custer state park, Crazy Horse mountain, Mt Rushmore etc are all great historical places to visit as well as hunt close by.

I understand the animosity some of the Native Americans have in the area but also understand that it was many generations ago what happened and when help is given now you don't trash and tear up what is given to you if thankful.
Like I said previously there are some great ones that I met and some that I simply feel sorry for their kids as their parents will most likely raise them to hate as well.

Old Gobbler

I wont go into the Indian issues , its more complicated than the mid east peace process , similar  if you think about it , there looks to be no cure in sight for the issue

but anyways the land is cheap ! the ranchers told me that some of the good plains acreage is only $200 a acre , if it were me I would buy it back piece by piece !  and get all back that way - anyways Ill end the subject with that on a high note --SK
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

gobblerguide

agree with gslam, i have hunted lots of reserves in the USA and Canada and the tribes have a drug problem,alcohol problem and cannot be trusted .I could go on and on because at ont time i did a lot of business leasing the hunting rights on reserves and outfitting but again they cannot be trusted to adhere to any legal or even verbal agreement.Go to the Pine Ridge ,lots of birds and pretty cheap. Wait till you ride thru the Rosebud and look the place over,it looks like a war zone.
Worse than the bird flu on gobblers!

lightsoutcalls

Once again, my intent was not to try to stir up a stink.  This is an issue that I am too passionate about to address further, so I will avoid opening this thread again.

I hope those who get a chance to hunt have a great hunt and enjoy their time away from the "norm" of the daily grind.  I hope to get a chance to make it up that way some day myself.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!