turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Outfitting/Guide Schools

Started by socalturkeyman, March 04, 2013, 10:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

socalturkeyman

Does anyone have any experience or know of someone who has gone? I was thinking about becoming a back country guide since I'm in the middle of a career change.I have been thinking about this for a few years. Would like to start my own outfitting business but would like to work for someone first.I figure that its time to roll the dice and got to try or always wonder "what if". Thanks in advance.
A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

Onpoint

Never went to outfitting school, but guided for a few years. The job had its perks that's for sure but you have to put up with a lot too. There's always the guys that want a 150" buck tied to a tree for em. Once I went to pick up a guy that missed a beautiful 135" 8 point at 20 yards. And then again at 40. Somehow that was my fault. You're always gonna gave "those" guys, but you'll meet some great people along the way too. It's definitely a fun job but it can be aggravating at times too, just like any other job. I guided some boys that I'm fairly certain were hooked up in the mob. One of em shot a buck that didn't meet our size requirements so I had to hit him with a $500 fine. I wasn't quite sure how that was gonna go but he was cool about it, even threw in a $300 tip. Ive got a ton of stories and memories from my years of guiding but those days are over for now. Now I'm a climber for a tree service... If you decide to get into the businessit best of luck to ya. If ya want give me a holler sometime and I'd be glad to talk to ya.

tjh24

I went to guide school  a few years ago.  I went to Swan Mountain Wilderness Guide school in NW Montana.

It was a really neat experience and  I learned a lot, but I would really not spend the money on it.  The whole emphasis of my school was horses and packing.  It was awesome to learn about all that, and I thouroughly enjoyed it, but it did nothing to teach me how to hunt or guide hunters.

I already had a job with an outfitter prior to taking my guide school (i had already paid for the school before I got my job) I learned pretty much everything from him.

In my experience, talking to outfitters and being willing to start out low on the totem pole, and work hard and you can get a job.  You can learn a lot from experienced outfitters and it will give you the knowledge to go out on your own.  Send me a pm and I am more than willing to talk to you in much more detail about this. Good luck!

TauntoHawk

Quote from: tjh24 on March 05, 2013, 01:54:59 PM
I went to guide school  a few years ago.  I went to Swan Mountain Wilderness Guide school in NW Montana.

It was a really neat experience and  I learned a lot, but I would really not spend the money on it.  The whole emphasis of my school was horses and packing.  It was awesome to learn about all that, and I thouroughly enjoyed it, but it did nothing to teach me how to hunt or guide hunters.

I already had a job with an outfitter prior to taking my guide school (i had already paid for the school before I got my job) I learned pretty much everything from him.

In my experience, talking to outfitters and being willing to start out low on the totem pole, and work hard and you can get a job.  You can learn a lot from experienced outfitters and it will give you the knowledge to go out on your own.  Send me a pm and I am more than willing to talk to you in much more detail about this. Good luck!

I have a buddy who called me Monday and said he was planning on going to Swan in June and is looking to be a guide in the Montana area. Would you recommend Swan for a someone that was going to be guiding where they would use pack horses?
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>