turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New to Turkey hunting...Advice needed!

Started by Ltsheets, March 02, 2013, 11:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ltsheets

So today I went out and shot my new Turkey gun for the first time.  It's a TC Encore with a TruGlo red dot scope I mounted on it.  Boy that thing kicks like a mule!  Anyway, the range I took it too only allowed shotguns to shoot at 25 yds for some reason (pretty irritating) so all I have is 4 pictures of patterns I shot today at 25 yds.  I shot twice with the Hornady and twice with the Winchester shells.  I won't have a chance to get out and shoot again before the season so I need some advice on which load you think my gun shot better and based on the 25 yd pattern, do you guys think I'll be good out to 40 yds or should I stick with 30 yds and in?  Thanks for the advice in advance and I look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Ltsheets

Those top pics were of the Winchester loads...here are the Hornady loads...

nyhunter

I would not shoot a turkey at 40yds untill you get a chance to pattern your gun at that range, That will really tell how your gun is doing. With those 2 loads Id be very confident shooting out to 30 yds.

BandedSpur

Quote from: nyhunter on March 03, 2013, 08:39:41 AM
I would not shoot a turkey at 40yds untill you get a chance to pattern your gun at that range, That will really tell how your gun is doing. With those 2 loads Id be very confident shooting out to 30 yds.

Agreed. But from all the patterns I have seen on this forum and others, I would choose the Wins to hunt with. Lots of folks getting great results with those shells (depends on gun and choke of course). I have yet to see or hear of anyone (other than Hornady salesmen) that have gotten satisfactory results from the Hornadys. Hornady is a great company, that makes great rifle bullets, and loaded ammo (I use a lot of it), but they have missed the mark badly with their turkey loads IMO.

Ltsheets

Thanks guys for the advice. My shoulder is disappointed that you're recommending the Winchester as it kicked considerably harder than the Hornady haha

spaightlabs

A 2 oz payload will kick about 33% harder than a 1.5 oz payload for sure.

I have never once felt any recoil whatsoever when shooting at a tom.

Ltsheets

True.  I'm not worried about the recoil in the heat of he moment.

ILIKEHEVI-13

I used to do a lot of shooting at 25yds on 8.5" x 11" piece of paper and would put close to 280 shot or so inside the paper with 3" 2 oz #6 lead loads.  I don't know what choke yourusing but I don't think it's tight enough.  Doesn't look nowhere hear like the paper targets I used to shoot. 

Ltsheets

Good to know.  I'll take a look at what the choke is later today and post that.  Maybe I need to try a better choke.  I was wondering if it was actually that tight a pattern or not considering how I hear that certain chokes can through soft ball sized patterns at 20 yds or so it seems. 

captin_hook

You're good to go out to about 30 yrds. As said before , I wouldn't shoot at 40 without pattering it at that distance first. Also as said before, stick with the winchesters, I've heard nothing but bad things about those hornadys. Welcome to turkey hunting and let the addiction begin.    :wagon:

Ltsheets

Looks like it's just the stock TC Turkey choke.  Any recommendations on a better choke to get that pattern smaller?  Also, with a new choke, will I need to re sight in the red dot??

redleg06

Quote from: nyhunter on March 03, 2013, 08:39:41 AM
I would not shoot a turkey at 40yds untill you get a chance to pattern your gun at that range, That will really tell how your gun is doing.

I agree.

I'd go find another range or even take it your hunting land and get it patterned for the distance you think you'll be shooting them.

Xcal1ber

If that was your absolutle last chance to shoot your gun before season, then stick with what you have and shoot the winchesters, and keep your shots at 30 yards and under. You'll kill turkeys at that distance. Then you can play around with your gun after season when you get the chance, and you will find that 40 yard killer for next season.
He shouldn't ought done'nat........ He dead.

ILIKEHEVI-13

If you find a good turkey choke and some of the older Fed Premium 3" 2oz #6 loads you ought to be putting around 300 shot inside that paper at 25yds.  That's bout what my gun would do.  No less than 270.  And that's if your gun shoots centered to bead.  I think the Encore is Invector threads if I remember correctly.  I'll check to be sure and see what I can help you find.  I would say you need a choke around .655 or .660. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Thompson Center: Interchanges with Winchester style threads

So I was right.  That's the same as Browning Invector/Moss 500.

Don't go anywhere and I'll see what I can find real quick from my sources. 

Your just going to be shooting lead I assume.

Brad