turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Flopping birds

Started by BlakeJ, March 02, 2013, 11:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrowningGuy88

A couple of years ago I was still running hard out to the bird and standing on his head. Then I switched over to Hevi and Nitro's and when I shot the first bird with them, I got about halfway to him in a dead run and realized there was no point. So now, even with lead I shoot and just watch him. If he tries to get up I will shoot him again...

rmbailey2010

Well... after reading the above posts I guess im just weird??  I dont stand on their head.  I reach down and grab them right above the waddles and squeeze (usually with 2 hands).  This puts em out pretty quick and avoids gettin spurred in the hands! You can literally hear the air leave them when their finally DONE... Just my way of doing it  :toothy9:

mnturkey

usually by the time I get up and get over to them, they have stopped flopping so I just admire them.
SEMPER FI

Neill_Prater

If I'm not absolutely sure he is a goner, I generally step on his neck until he stops moving. If I'm sure he is on his way to Turkey Nirvana, I usually don't do anything. I still get up quickly almost every time and keep the gun at ready, just in case, but I don't run headlong like I did in my younger days. I finally figured out a charge of shot will get there much quicker at 1200 fps than I ever could, if he attempts to make an exit.  :)

goblr77

I pick em up by the neck. They can't spur you that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WNY Bowhunter

I give 'em an elbow drop just for driving me crazy and making me wake up all of those cold, damp mornings...:goofball:.
"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

Shotgun

I let him flop and keep on calling.

firstflight111

Send the youngest guy out after them  :emoticon-cartoon-012:  :toothy12: . that's why i alway's hunt with people younger then me  ;D.
CUPPED AND COMMITTED

Improvinghunter101

I've only wondered whether or not they were dead at the longer distant shots (two to be exact). So those times I ran as fast as I could and put my foot on their head.  Any more I just let them flop.  It sure beats the heck out of taking a spur.  Those things hurt.

FttFttVroom!

I let them flop.  I have been flogged, scratched, and spurred enough by now to know better.  Those memories are also good motivation to get shots close enough to where even flopping is minimal.

HARPJ_is_HOOKED

Not much experience here, but on my one bird, I straddled him with one foot on his head and one foot on his feet. As hard as I had worked for him, there was NO WAY I was letting that bird get away. In fact, I almost shot him a second time!!!
Harper Johnson

wvcurlytop

:emoticon-cartoon-012: Grab them and run for the property line!  Haha, just kidding..

I grab them by the head and sort of twist, and that does that..

lumberjack

Run, stomp, squeeze, shoot, twist, catch breath!!!!! Not always in that order! And not always altogether, but generally some combination of these six!!!!! :funnyturkey:

C_W

Quote from: Shotgun on March 04, 2013, 06:39:57 PM
I let him flop and keep on calling.

We stacked them up by doing this in Florida a few years ago. Shot one,he was flopping and we kept calling, another group of 3 came in so I shot one of them, and the two other birds ran 15 yards then cam back to flog the two that were on the ground.

CW

custom12

Let your huntin buddy go pick him up,and prepare to start laughing. :z-winnersmiley: