OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Flopping birds

Started by BlakeJ, March 02, 2013, 11:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longspur

I look at them to see if they have any control over ther head. If they don't I let them be. I had one get up and I've heard of lots of them getting up. If his head is flopping around like a dish rag he's done.

guesswho

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on March 02, 2013, 05:51:56 PM
I carefully grab the legs and hoist them in the air to let them flop their last without beating out their feathers. I've been pretty lucky cause I've only been spurred twice. :lol:
And when you finally kill your third bird you will get spurred for the third time.

Just kidding, but you know I couldn't pass up such an easy one :toothy9:
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Publicland

Usually grab em by their neck, & let em finish themselves! :newmascot:

ziggy

shoot his buddy that comes to jump on him.
"Playing that cowboy music
And it feels good, to be working hard"

TN Beard Buster

I personally hurry out and put my foot on his neck and then carefully grab his legs and give a little pull to make sure the neck is broke! Worse thing I get is maybe a little wing slap to the legs!

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: guesswho on March 02, 2013, 06:55:41 PM
I carefully grab the legs and hoist them in the air to let them flop their last without beating out their feathers. I've been pretty lucky cause I've only been spurred twice. :lol:
And when you finally kill your third bird you will get spurred for the third time.
Just kidding, but you know I couldn't pass up such an easy one :toothy9:
I'd be disappointed if you did!!! ;D

bosstom3

Foot on head, grab his legs, get cut with spurs, usually in that order....lol :fud:

GSLAM95

It depends, I have jumped up-ran over to the bird - stepped on his head - been spurred bad enough in my earlier years that I even had to get my hand stitched up. 
Anymore I usually just watch how he reacted at the shot, sit there and reminisce about the hunt that just took place, wait for him to finish his death flop, sometimes light up a cigar and then when finished go over and admire the bird before picking him up, tagging and moving on.

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

busta biggun

This is exactly what I do. /\ Works great, but as rutnNstrutn says, you gott watch out for the spurs,. I had my hand laid open back in 1986. It only takes once for you to remember!

budtripp

I let him flop, he ain't going nowhere lol. Used to run after them like a madman when I first started hunting. Not sure why, maybe I just couldn't believe I'd actually killed one and didn't want to chance him getting away.

mozart_hunter

I always like to give them a good stomp to the head then grab their legs abd let them flop.

mudhen

Stand on the neck, then a quick pith to the head, and bird is DRT....

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

FireDoc

The Old Head Stomp Shuffle.
Go Dawgs!
Beware the Yelp Marks.
Proud Member of the IAFF

stinkpickle

If he's able to flop off into a creek or something, I'll step on his head...otherwise, I just sit back and let him finish.

flintlock

step on their legs, then their head.
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!