News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

870 20 ga. Best choke choice

Started by Balla1982, March 02, 2013, 08:36:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balla1982

:begging:
My son will turkey hunting for the first time this upcoming season and I am looking for the best choke for my Remington 870 20 ga. Youth model.
This was my gun brand new when I was a kid being a present from my dad. I traded it for a bow since later I got into bow hunting hot and heavy, not thinking about the consequences of my actions.
I found the owner, and since the gun had already been traded 3 times, I was quite surprised.
Anyway the point of telling this part was that the guy didn't want to let go of the gun because he had it patterning out to 60 yards with a hastings .562 choke shooting #6 federal flight control. The bad thing is that when I finally convinced him to sell it he kept the choke.
If anyone else has had similar success and has any insight it will be greatly appreciated. I hate to start sinking tons of money into chokes if I don't have to m

mossyoakpro

Get your a $40 Truglo SSX and some Fed HW #7's and go hunting  :turkey2:
Phillippians 4:13

gophert

I'd call him back and try to cut a deal for that Hastings .562.  One of the best chokes out there and VERY hard to find. There's plenty of good chokes for the 870, but if you could get that Hastings, your search would be over. 

Balla1982

Quote from: gophert on March 02, 2013, 06:31:51 PM
I'd call him back and try to cut a deal for that Hastings .562.  One of the best chokes out there and VERY hard to find. There's plenty of good chokes for the 870, but if you could get that Hastings, your search would be over.

Thank you. I was hoping someone has had success in the past because I looked them up on the Hastings website and I will be ordering one here shortly.

walk20

savduck

I agree that the SSX is a great all round choke for the 870. I run it in mine. It throws a tight pattern.

I saw that you posted that your son may be hunting. You may want to open up that pattern a little. A pure gold 570 tempest would do just that. It will open the pattern up but still give you plenty out to 40.
Georgia Boy

Balla1982

I've already ordered the Hastings and plan on trying it out this weekend, if it comes in.  Then if it doesn't produce the results that satisfy me then I will try something else.

Thanks guys for your recommendations.  I will more than likely try the Tru glo next and then the Pure Gold depending on how well my boy can shoot the shotgun.  He has yet to even shoot the thing so it's all trial and error.

Hayudog

I agree with Savduck.  First birds you just want DEAD.  Opening up the pattern a little gives them a fringe. 
Have fun!

870BkWht

For no more than you will spend on it, Id check out a Primos Tightwad, or even the Remington Super Full tubes before you sank the money into a Pure Gold or the like. 

Question is just how dead do you want the bird to be? 

Ive got a Primos Tightwad that will throw a fantastic pattern with any lead #6 out to 40 yards and it shoots #4s like a house of fire out to 35.  Ive got a Remington SF tube in the mail on its way to me now, so I cant speak about that, but many guys like em.

Arra

I have one of the RSF hevi shot chokes for sale in the classifieds if you're interested..

Balla1982

Quote from: Arra on March 06, 2013, 04:55:50 PM
I have one of the RSF hevi shot chokes for sale in the classifieds if you're interested..

Let me see what this Hastings will do and if you still have it by then I will possibly look into taking it off your hands. It should be in the mailbox tomorrow and hopefully this weekend I can see what she'll do.

firstflight111

I  have a carlson's full in my 870 20 ga and love it nice pattern at 20 to 35 yards .under 20 it look's like a slug hole with a load of federal magshok 5s .
CUPPED AND COMMITTED

Balla1982

This forum is awesome and you guys are great!  I just had to say that cause there does t seem to be a lot of bickering if any that I have seen. And there is so much useful information from trial and error that I am in awe.
I just want to say thank you to everyone and I hope I continue to grow as a hunter from the knowledge passed on here.

SKFOOTER

Have you patterned thru the Hastings .562 yet??

Balla1982

I haven't yet, but hopefully this weekend or maybe by tomorrow. Really depends on the weather. I never knew about how much the weather affects patterning until I joined this site.
I ordered some Fed HV 6 and 7's and HV-13 #7 so hopefully they are at the house cause I'm outta town.