Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What's the Biggest Turkey Hunting MYTH????

Started by redleg06, February 28, 2013, 08:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dawgfrombama

If he shuts up, he's coming.  I wish that were true all the time.

jblackburn

Quote from: I-55Bandit on February 28, 2013, 09:30:14 AM
that gobblers won't cross creeks

that and you cannot call one down hill.

Or turkeys are "smart"
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

tomstopper

fldoghunter

Anything that starts with "they never" or "they always".

mudhen

Quote from: ghillie on February 28, 2013, 10:01:45 AM
That they are EASY to kill....

This :)

Just because you get an occasional Terrible Two that runs into the end of your arrow or shotgun, does not mean they are easy to kill.

Just because they fight with black trash bags caught on a fence along the highway, does not mean they are easy to kill.

Just because you can get close and photograph them in the off-season, does not mean they are easy to kill during the season.

I once walked right past a sleeping 350+ class bull elk, sound asleep, in the front yard of a mountain home outside of Boise, ID.  Not sure, but I think he was drooling in his sleep.  How stupid would I look if I posted up everywhere that 350 class bull elk were stupid, easy to kill, etc.

They can be simple to kill on occasion, but they generally are not easy to kill...

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

The Painter

Quote from: I-55Bandit on February 28, 2013, 09:30:14 AM
that gobblers won't cross creeks
Creeks lol, rivers ! A friend and I were sitting along sode a swamp next to a 200 yard wide river. He called this bird across it.
Turkeys will fly across revenes.
I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
::: Andrew Wyeth :::
ColonialRestorationStudio.com

CT Spur Collector

Quote from: Garrett Trentham on February 28, 2013, 12:16:15 PM
- "Turkeys are smart."
    Turkeys have a brain the size of a walnut. They have very little problem solving ability. I've seen them battle with a hog wire fence for a half an hour when they could easily hop right over it. They are not smart. What they are is wary. They have extremely well developed eyesight and hearing. Turkeys rely heavily on these two senses to avoid predators. They also can be highly inconsistent with their behaviors. Some days they are very responsive to calls, others they aren't. Some of this varies from bird to bird, and even from season to season with a particular bird. There are very few constants in turkey hunting. When they don't do what we want, we assume that they saw right through our scheme.

- "A turkey will never..."
    I can tell you that's BS right off the bat. A turkey is liable to do just about anything you can imagine, either be ready for it or accept failure when you aren't.

Bingo! You hit the nail on the head Garrett.

Another is: they have a memory. I think they may have somewhat of a small memory, gets them to feed.

If they could remember from day to day or week to week, they'd never fly down through turkey season!

redrivergar

That any bug spray will protect you from turkey mites, or deer ticks, or whatever you call the bugs that bite and then leave the itchy little bumps from your ankles to your neck. I finally found permanone spray several years ago and it does work. :z-guntootsmiley:

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Ruger M77

I eat therefore I hunt

renegade19

My favorite myth is that you always have better success staying put.  Sometimes, it's better to move on one. Just depends on the bird and the day.

ccleroy

Turkeys won't walk or wade through water

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: dawgfrombama on February 28, 2013, 12:31:04 PM
If he shuts up, he's coming.  I wish that were true all the time.
If he shuts up he is either coming or going you can be sure of that! :TooFunny:
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

runngun

A gobbler won't leave a hen and come to YOU!!!!!!!!

Cause he just might!!!
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.