turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg 835 ultra mag.

Started by rhino .695, February 27, 2013, 10:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhino .695

I just got the mossberg 835 ultra mag from my boss ,i put a 625 rhino ported choke tube on it .Has ported barrel was just wondering if that will release too much pressure?I have yet to fire it since the new choke has been put on.I also just picked up a mossberg 600ct 20ga. ,it is full fixed choke .Would this make a good turkey gun?I am new to hunting and decided to hunt turkeys .I have about 50 acres that my boss is letting me hunt on.I have a soybean field on one side and a corn field on the other with woods behind the fields.

davisd9

I have never heard of a .625 choke for a 835, that is tight for a remington or other guns.  Mossberg 835/935 has an overbored barrel that is equivalent to a 10 ga.  My opinion is you to open that thing up, way up.  Most here get their best patterns around .675.  I would go with a Pure Gold, SumToy, or Indian Creek.  I personally would get rid of a .625, are you sure that is not a typo?
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: davisd9 on February 28, 2013, 07:57:35 AM
I have never heard of a .625 choke for a 835, that is tight for a remington or other guns. I personally would get rid of a .625, are you sure that is not a typo?

X-1
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Skeeterbait

Also a bit of friendly advise.  It appears your forum name is your email address.  I would recommend you send a private message to oldgobbler and ask that your forum name be changed to anything else of your choice.  Otherwise web bots and search spiders are going to harvest your email address and you will in time be receiving huge amounts of junk and malware laden email.  You just started on the forum so a change now won't really matter.  Welcome to the forum.

rhino .695

No typo  is a 625 rhino ported choke

JamesG

something must be wrong if that choke is .625. If it is you might be in danger if you shoot through it.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Rhino doesn't make a .625 choke for the Moss 835.  They make a .690 and that's it for all I know of.  The tightest choke production made that I am aware of for the Moss 835 is the Kick's .640 card shooter choke that is made for 9 shot.  And how well they shoot would be up for question in my book vs a .670 choke. 

http://www.kicks-ind.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=Kicks&Product_Code=CSMoss83512g&Category_Code=12GaugeCS

ILIKEHEVI-13

Going from a .775 bore to a .640 would be way too tight and scatter shot even more vs a .670.  But that's my opinion.  Kick's I'm sure will tell you differently. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Even 12GA shooting match chokes don't go that tight.  Just food for thought. 

rhino .695

That is what is printed on the side of the choke,the guy i got it from said it worked get for turkeys

rhino .695

I bought two chokes from him a rhino 625 and a rhino 695 both are ported and fit very tight in the barrel

rhino .695

So i should not use the 625 choke what about the rhino 695 ?

davisd9

Personally, I would not use the .625, that is close to a 20 ga constriction.  I would have no problems running some loads through the .695.  I have a Mad Max .695 for my 835 and it shoots mag blends and 7s pretty well, those are 3.5" shells with 2.25 oz load.

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

rhino .695

Yeah it dose narrow out pretty good the 695 seems to fit better as well was looking at some of the indian creek choke too a friend has one he's going to let me try.I have been useing remington nitro turkey 3" 17/8oz. size4 shot i will try the 3.5

wvcurlytop

I would put the .625 choke in a drawer and use the .695.  SAFER!!  I use the .690 in my 835 and love it.  Just try several brands of shells and shot sizes until you find the one that patterns best in your gun and choke.  You made a wise purchase in my opinion on the gun and good luck.  Also, just to remind you I too would change my forum name if I were you.

The card cutter choke did not shoot well in my gun.  To tight I guess, as it shot a clumpy pattern..